Old 30-03-2003, 04:56 PM
John Towill

Default Jiffy 7s

I like the idea of growing seeds in jiffy 7s, however the cheapest I can
find them is just under 10p each, and that is bulk. At this price is seems
to make it rather an expensive option.
Any thoughts, comments or experience on them?
TIA
John T

--
Remove the wet from towill to reply
by email

Old 30-03-2003, 08:56 PM
IntarsiaCo

Any thoughts, comments or experience on them?

I found them unsatisfactory because it was difficult to regulate the moisture
content.
Old 30-03-2003, 09:08 PM
Rod

"IntarsiaCo" wrote in message ...
Any thoughts, comments or experience on them?

I found them unsatisfactory because it was difficult to regulate the moisture
content.

I used them commercially with the same results - waste of money and time.
For most veg seeds I use plug trays. For most ornamentals I sow in small trays or small pots and prick out as needed
into standard trays, plug trays or pots.

Rod

Old 01-04-2003, 06:56 PM

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 16:51:41 +0100, "John Towill"
wrote:

I like the idea of growing seeds in jiffy 7s, however the cheapest I can
find them is just under 10p each, and that is bulk. At this price is seems
to make it rather an expensive option.
Any thoughts, comments or experience on them?
TIA
John T

I just grow mine in 3 inch pots. I found the jiffies useless - always
drying out and not rotting down in the ground when it was one plant to
one pot. Sowing seeds is my favourite occupation and its great to see
if/when they germinate - all perennials by the way. Just found a
potful of seedlings under their cover on the top of the boiler housing
behind the microwave. Just thought I'd share some of my exciting life
with you. Now have to wait and see what they are; probably something
horrible as they were only sown 3 days ago. The packet said
'distributors mix'. Yes, sorry, I do tend to waffle. Diana