Old 14-02-2006, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
belto

Default Greenhouse construction

A good few years ago I modified a Stand alone aluminium green house into a
leanto and it has served me well.
However the roof span was too great and it is now being supported and I need
to replace it .
I am seeking plans to build my own wooden leanto approximately 8' x 10'.and
would be very greatfull if I can be pointed in this direction.

Old 16-02-2006, 12:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
doug

"belto" wrote in message
.. .
A good few years ago I modified a Stand alone aluminium green house into a
leanto and it has served me well.
However the roof span was too great and it is now being supported and I
need to replace it .
I am seeking plans to build my own wooden leanto approximately 8' x
10'.and would be very greatfull if I can be pointed in this direction.

**************
I built mine with the same dimensions but two-sided.
On the inside of the greenhouse I can highly recommend that you enclose the
growing area with a wall two cement blocks high and fill the inside growing
area aforementioned to the top, with your favourite mix of growing
compost.
No more stooping down to earth level, - you just bend over and titivate the
topsoil at will, and if after a year or four you think the soil is a bit
tomato-sad , (you've heard of "tatie-sad" fields, probably, - well!, -
taties and tomatoes are related, you know.)
You barrow away the top six or nine or twelve inches and chuck that old
stuff on your outside flower borders.
Stop the wife's beer money for a month and watch out for a cheap second-hand
cement mixture, - ( I swear by mine, -it takes all the work out of mixing
and you can use it for building walls and things.,) - to mix up another
filling of topsoil from another border, mixed with equal volume of peat, a
soupcon of sand, not from a beach. and your favourite mix of fertiliser.
(Go easy with the sand, it's good but tends to quickly thin out the texture
more than you intended.
This set-up gives your plants a frequent and regular fresh start, soil-wise.
When building the greenhouse side structure, design and put a flap window at
the inside soil level to make it easier for you to shovel the spent internal
soil out to a wheelbarrow standing outside under and alongside the flap.
Similarly, you can mix new compost outside and chuck it inside easily.
A healthy operator in his healthy 'sulking hideaway!.'
No more "sore back", - bending down all the time!..
Have fun!
Doug. (In Cumbria.)