Old 20-02-2006, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins

Default dead cordyline leaves

our garden is covered in dead Cordyline leaves. I have tried shredding them
with a small shredder and they simply tangle and jam it. I also tried
running over them with a petrol mower and same happened. I tried composting
and they emerge after 6 months looking the same as when they went in.
Anyone got any recipes? Can you smoke them? Could I build an extension or
line the chimney with them?

Des

Old 20-02-2006, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
garryac

Take them to the dump

Old 20-02-2006, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.k.

Des Higgins wrote:
our garden is covered in dead Cordyline leaves. I have tried
shredding them with a small shredder and they simply tangle and jam
it. I also tried running over them with a petrol mower and same
happened. I tried composting and they emerge after 6 months looking
the same as when they went in. Anyone got any recipes? Can you smoke
them? Could I build an extension or line the chimney with them?

Des

use tham as the bottom layer of a new bin of compost - they will rot down in
time - mine do!

pk

Old 20-02-2006, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Des Higgins" contains these words:

our garden is covered in dead Cordyline leaves. I have tried
shredding them
with a small shredder and they simply tangle and jam it. I also tried
running over them with a petrol mower and same happened. I tried
composting
and they emerge after 6 months looking the same as when they went in.
Anyone got any recipes? Can you smoke them? Could I build an extension
or
line the chimney with them?

You could strew them on the floor in the house as an ecological
stain-proof carpet. Or if you're very posh, weave them into mats.

They burn very well (as do phormium leaves) so are useful to get the
bonfire burning hot and clean. I gather them into a bundle and use one
leaf to tie it into a sheaf. Stack it on end until the next bonfire.

Janet

we live in a housing estate and I am wary of fumigating the neighbours. If
they really do burn clean and hot that may be worth a shot though.

Old 20-02-2006, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Des Higgins" wrote in message
. ie...

"p.k." wrote in message
Des Higgins wrote:
our garden is covered in dead Cordyline leaves. I have tried
shredding them with a small shredder and they simply tangle and jam
it. I also tried running over them with a petrol mower and same
happened. I tried composting and they emerge after 6 months looking
the same as when they went in. Anyone got any recipes? Can you smoke
them? Could I build an extension or line the chimney with them?

Des

use tham as the bottom layer of a new bin of compost - they will rot down
in time - mine do!

this is the best suggestion of the 3 so far. I will do that.

http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....yline+indivisa has 'strong rain
capes'

Cordyline Terminalis (Green Ti) is used to make hula skirts

Jenny :~)

Old 20-02-2006, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Des Higgins" wrote in message
. ie...
our garden is covered in dead Cordyline leaves. I have tried shredding

them
with a small shredder and they simply tangle and jam it. I also tried
running over them with a petrol mower and same happened. I tried

composting
and they emerge after 6 months looking the same as when they went in.
Anyone got any recipes? Can you smoke them? Could I build an extension

or
line the chimney with them?

Des

I pick them up in bunches and chop them with my secretors just dropping the
bits as I go, Mind your fingers though!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 20-02-2006, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Des Higgins" wrote ...
our garden is covered in dead Cordyline leaves. I have tried shredding
them with a small shredder and they simply tangle and jam it. I also
tried running over them with a petrol mower and same happened. I tried
composting and they emerge after 6 months looking the same as when they
went in. Anyone got any recipes? Can you smoke them? Could I build an
extension or line the chimney with them?

Tie them tight together in a bundle and use it as a broom, like a "witches
broom", works well for leaves etc.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 20-02-2006, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins

"p.k." wrote in message
Des Higgins wrote:
our garden is covered in dead Cordyline leaves. I have tried
shredding them with a small shredder and they simply tangle and jam
it. I also tried running over them with a petrol mower and same
happened. I tried composting and they emerge after 6 months looking
the same as when they went in. Anyone got any recipes? Can you smoke
them? Could I build an extension or line the chimney with them?

Des

use tham as the bottom layer of a new bin of compost - they will rot
down
in time - mine do!

this is the best suggestion of the 3 so far. I will do that.

http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....yline+indivisa has 'strong
rain
capes'

Cordyline Terminalis (Green Ti) is used to make hula skirts

thinks ..... hmmmmm; I would have to wear subdued underwear but you could be
onto something here.

Jenny :~)