Old 04-04-2003, 11:08 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Cooked my venus fly trap...

In article ,
Alastair wrote:
(Nick Maclaren) wrote in message ...

Probably, but I think that I may have lost my Pinguicula grandiflora
from frost, and that is slightly hardier than any Venus fly-trap I
have heard of. And it wasn't even a hard winter - nothing below -8
Celsius :-(

My Ping has survived two winters outdoors now. Including the nasty
cold snap we had in early Feb, which affected much of South East
England. It is just sending ut it's first leaves now, and when I
looked at it a couple of days ago seemed to have caught it's first
flies already. )

P. grandflora or P. vulgaris? The latter is hardy anywhere in the UK
(and I do mean ANYWHERE)! Also, if you are in London, you could have
quite a lot milder winters than here.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-04-2003, 01:20 PM
Rufus

I live in Northamptonshire and have been collecting carnivorous plants for
over ten years. I have never kept any of them outside my heated greenhouse
during the winter and in all that time I have lost one pot of two years old
Pinguicula grandiflora, due mainly to incorrect re-potting. I wouldn't dare
to keep any of my collection outside in the garden at any time of the year,
although I know of many collectors that do.

Rufus
--------------------------

-------------------------------------

Old 04-04-2003, 01:44 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Rufus wrote:
I live in Northamptonshire and have been collecting carnivorous plants for
over ten years. I have never kept any of them outside my heated greenhouse
during the winter and in all that time I have lost one pot of two years old
Pinguicula grandiflora, due mainly to incorrect re-potting. I wouldn't dare
to keep any of my collection outside in the garden at any time of the year,
although I know of many collectors that do.

Mine was outside in the most sheltered location in the garden, but
it still got down to -5 Celsius there. It survived the previous two
winters, but I don't think that it will come through this one.
Obviously, P. vulgaris, P. alpina and P. lusitanica would!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Venus Fly Trap Steve Burrows United Kingdom 4 12-04-2005 11:09 PM
Wanted: 25,000 Venus Fly Trap Seeds Nick Gray Gardening 0 25-06-2003 08:44 AM
Venus Fly Trap Help? verizon Gardening 5 04-05-2003 06:20 AM
Venus fly trap question. SDD Plant Science 2 26-04-2003 01:28 PM
Venus Fly Trap... Marcus Fox United Kingdom 3 04-12-2002 11:08 AM