Old 02-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Therefore

Default questions on garlic

Hello I would like some advice or feedback on some garlic seed "miniature
cloves" given to me last year. I was told it wild and native to the UK. The
name given me is Jack by the Hedge. It grows to about 3ft. high and flowers
with mini seed which sprouts on the parent plant. Question is it good to eat
or best left as decorative. Leslie.

Old 02-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Therefore
writes
Hello I would like some advice or feedback on some garlic seed "miniature
cloves" given to me last year. I was told it wild and native to the UK. The
name given me is Jack by the Hedge. It grows to about 3ft. high and flowers
with mini seed which sprouts on the parent plant. Question is it good to eat
or best left as decorative.

If it's Jack-by-the-hedge, then it's not actually a garlic or onion at
all, it's a garlic flavoured member of the cabbage family, also known as
garlic mustard. It's edible (ie non-poisonous) but not as good as the
real thing. I wouldn't describe it as decorative - like a white and less
showy version of honesty or of dame's violet. But it's vigorous and easy
to grow, self seeding everywhere.

But if what you've got is like a miniature garlic clove rather than a
seed, then it could be wild garlic or ramsons - which I've never heard
called 'jack by the hedge'. That certainly is decorative - shiny leaves
shaped rather like tulip leaves, and clusters of white flowers. Likes a
shady moist area.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 03-04-2003, 10:33 PM
Therefore

Hi Kay thanks for the feedback. The plant it self grows to about 3 feet in
height and has a flowering head but no flowers just minature cloves The
leaves are definately onion like but rather corse and the stem is somewhat
like an onion gone to seed . I am again assured it is called Jack by the
hedge. Leslie

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Therefore
writes

Old 03-04-2003, 11:44 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Therefore
writes
Hi Kay thanks for the feedback. The plant it self grows to about 3 feet in
height and has a flowering head but no flowers just minature cloves The
leaves are definately onion like but rather corse and the stem is somewhat
like an onion gone to seed . I am again assured it is called Jack by the
hedge.

In that case, it sounds like tree onions. It's a cultivated plant not a
native to the UK, though it grows well here.

Again, I've never heard it called jack by the hedge, which just goes to
show the problems of using common names rather than the latin ones!
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
more garlic questions harry411 Edible Gardening 0 05-03-2004 12:40 AM
more garlic questions harry411 Edible Gardening 0 05-03-2004 12:40 AM