Old 03-04-2003, 09:45 PM
Jayne

Default New here!

I found this newsgroup with help from one of your posters - I need help
with gardening!
You see, I moved to England from South Africa 4 years ago & the seasons are
topsy-turvy now........I always knew what to plant each season, when to
prune etc & of course many plants are different.

I *am* learning though! At first we bought a house in town with a small
garden where there wasn't much I could do, so I planted up containers to
practice on. A year ago we bought a house in the country on 1/2 acre which
is next to farmland & although the previous owners kept the garden neat it
is boring, boring, boring ..... so I need help!
There are two ponds which were empty so we have started with a few plants &
goldfish in one & have been rewarded with a family of frogs in the other &
just this week the tadpoles started hatching.

I am also encouraging birds by feeding them & we had a Robin family nesting
in the ivy outside the kitchen window last year. I'm also learning what the
different birds are too!

Unfortunately, for a house which was once part of the farm it doesn't have
much in the way of interesting plants (I don't think so anyway!). There is
an awfully long conifer hedge, a couple of cherry & damson trees & a huge
expanse of lawn.
We live down a long lane which ends at the farm so it's been interesting to
see different plants growing along the lane during the last year.

Anyway, I also do flower arranging so I need the garden to be a sort of mix
between cultivated & wildlife garden - luckily we do have the space for both
& I like an informal type garden. The garden also has to cater for 2
children, 2 cats & a dog!

Old 03-04-2003, 10:09 PM
Chris Stewart

&
[...]

Hi Jayne,
Welcome - I'm sure you'll find this a source of excellent advice.

Chris S

Old 03-04-2003, 10:45 PM
david

Hi Jane,
Welcome to the group, What part of the UK are you, just the area will help,
and will also mean you may get advice from those close to you.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 04-04-2003, 09:32 AM
Jayne

Thanks David - I'm in South Gloucestershire. The soil seems good - nice &
crumbly, not solid clay like at our previous house.

Jayne

"david" wrote in message
Hi Jane,
Welcome to the group, What part of the UK are you, just the area will

help,
and will also mean you may get advice from those close to you.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

here here now, this poking at my daughter has to stop! Momma McKoi Ponds 0 15-05-2005 10:57 PM
new here wood_shoppe Edible Gardening 1 29-01-2004 10:32 PM
Australian gardener - 'new' here andr0meda Edible Gardening 7 05-12-2003 11:42 PM
New here, where's the FAQ? Chris Garvey Plant Science 1 26-04-2003 01:30 PM
New here, where's the FAQ? Chris Garvey Plant Science 2 05-03-2003 04:51 PM