Old 03-04-2003, 10:33 PM
Victor West

Default SkipBag

Hello,
I have some soil that I wish to get rid of. I see there is something called
SkipBag which costs around £8 for the bag and £35 for disposal. It takes 1
tonne of waste and the bag is roughly 3' square. It should be sufficent for
the smallish amount I have.
Has anybody else used one? If so how have you found using one?

Victor

Old 03-04-2003, 11:44 PM
bnd777

Why dont you just put in a load of buckets or smaller plastic bags and take
it to your local waste recycling facility for free

Old 03-04-2003, 11:56 PM
shazzbat

"Victor West" wrote in message
Hello,
I have some soil that I wish to get rid of. I see there is something

called
SkipBag which costs around £8 for the bag and £35 for disposal. It takes 1
tonne of waste and the bag is roughly 3' square. It should be sufficent

for
the smallish amount I have.
Has anybody else used one? If so how have you found using one?

Victor

These things are free nowadays, since the builders merchants deliver them on
a non-returnable basis. When they were first in use there was a £25 deposit
on them! Find someone having some work done and they'll probably give/lend
you a bag. Don't know about the disposal side of things, around here
landfill charges are running at £55/tonne for trade waste, although inert
materials like soil should be a lot less. Be careful your bloke isn't fly
tipping or you could be in trouble.

Oh, and don't expect to pick it up when you've filled it!

HTH

Steve

Old 04-04-2003, 07:44 AM
Mike

In article , Victor West
writes
Hello,
I have some soil that I wish to get rid of. I see there is something called
SkipBag which costs around £8 for the bag and £35 for disposal. It takes 1
tonne of waste and the bag is roughly 3' square. It should be sufficent for
the smallish amount I have.
Has anybody else used one? If so how have you found using one?

Victor

Are you in such a situation or position that you can put a sign up,
"FREE SOIL. Come and get it". I have done this, so has a near neighbour,
and it is quite amazing to see people trundling up and down the road
with wheelbarrows!!

Why PAY to have it taken away when people will come and collect?

I will be doing the same soon with a load of hard - core and rubble.
Once I have laid 40 2 x 2 paving slabs :-((

Mike
Forthcoming reunions. Royal Navy Social Weekend Sussex May 2nd - 5th.
H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th - June 2nd
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th. Plus many more

Old 04-04-2003, 09:20 AM
Kay Easton

In article , shazzbat shazzbat@spaml
ess.fsnet.co.uk writes

These things are free nowadays, since the builders merchants deliver them on
a non-returnable basis. When they were first in use there was a £25 deposit
on them! Find someone having some work done and they'll probably give/lend
you a bag. Don't know about the disposal side of things, around here
landfill charges are running at £55/tonne for trade waste, although inert
materials like soil should be a lot less. Be careful your bloke isn't fly
tipping or you could be in trouble.

Your local recycling centre may have a skip for soil, if you can find
some way of getting it there.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 04-04-2003, 11:08 AM
andyp

"Victor West" wrote in message
Hello,
I have some soil that I wish to get rid of. I see there is something

called
SkipBag which costs around £8 for the bag and £35 for disposal. It takes 1
tonne of waste and the bag is roughly 3' square. It should be sufficent

for
the smallish amount I have.
Has anybody else used one? If so how have you found using one?

Victor

can't you dig a hole to put it in!

sorry
AndyP

Old 05-04-2003, 06:08 AM
kdupar

These things are free nowadays, since the builders merchants deliver
them on
a non-returnable basis. .

Your local recycling centre may have a skip for soil, if you can find
some way of getting it there.

My husband puts old gravel and sand bags in the trailer, loads them up
with garden waste and takes them to our nearest recycle centre. (We
have far more than we can recycle ourselves by shredding or dumping in
our four compost bins). All for free!

Kristina
on the Black Isle
Old 05-04-2003, 03:20 PM
NWalch

A four ton skip is area £35 in Sheffield so buying a bag which will
hold 1-2 tones and paying £35 to have it disposed off seem expensive.
I agree with the person who suggested advertising. Are you anywhere
near Sheffield.

Nick

Old 05-04-2003, 11:32 PM
shazzbat

"NWalch" wrote in message
om...
A four ton skip is area £35 in Sheffield so buying a bag which will
hold 1-2 tones and paying £35 to have it disposed off seem expensive.
I agree with the person who suggested advertising. Are you anywhere
near Sheffield.

Nick

Good grief, are you sure? One of my neighbours (bournemouth area) has just
had a 4 ton (4cu yd) skip delivered, and it's £ 104!

Shazzbat

Old 06-04-2003, 09:08 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , shazzbat
writes

"NWalch" wrote in message
. com...
A four ton skip is area £35 in Sheffield so buying a bag which will
hold 1-2 tones and paying £35 to have it disposed off seem expensive.
I agree with the person who suggested advertising. Are you anywhere
near Sheffield.

Nick

Good grief, are you sure? One of my neighbours (bournemouth area) has just
had a 4 ton (4cu yd) skip delivered, and it's £ 104!

It varies a lot around the country, ISTR Leeds being somewhere in the
middle of these two costs (GBP35 does sound very cheap) skip costs have
gone up I think over the last few years due to the rises in Landfill Tax
and also the charges that LA can make if it is on the roadside.

Referring to the OP, they don't say what material is going in this bag,
or if they have a car. If it's light material such as plant cuttings
then it's possible to put that in an old builders dumpy bag (sounds like
the same thing) and put that in the back of some cars, esp estates,
though ti will also go in the back of Punto IIRC. (plastic dustbins are
also an alternative for this)

For heavier material of that amount I would probably put it in lots of
plastic sacks and then move it myself to the dump, alternatively, stack
the bags in the garden and get a 'man with a truck' to shift the stuff.
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ: