GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Neighbours Help (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/12948-neighbours-help.html)

Ophelia 04-04-2003 12:20 PM

Neighbours Help

For the last year my compost bin has been at the end of my garden near shed
and fence. The garden is quite small. Last week we spread the compost on
the land reserved for fruit trees.

My neighbour's front door faces my garden. When we were digging in the
compost last week I must admit it was a wee bit niffy. Not sure why but
maybe someone can advise me later

We still have to finish it off and the smell will be gone. It has almost
gone now. She is screaming blue murder and is now sniffing against the
fence
where the compost bin is and inviting all the neighbours to have a wee sniff
as well (the bin is one from B&Q with a lid.

I know the smell will be gone as indeed it almost is after the work this
weekend. There was no smell at all for the last year. Does she have any
recourse in law as she gets obsessed with any wee problem in life and rushes
off to the police . I don't have anywhere else to site the bin and given
she had no complaint for the
whole of last year I don't see why I should. Or should I?

I have absolutely no wish to make anyone unhappy.. no not even her but is
this OTT?

Comments please?

Ophelia
Scotland

bigboard 04-04-2003 01:20 PM

Neighbours Help

Ophelia wrote:
[...]

IANAL, but I think she would only have recourse to law if it was a
persistant nuisance. A couple of days wouldn't qualify.

As to why it smell, it could be that the heap has not been getting
enough air. Anaerobic decompostion (decomposition in the absence of
oxygen) is usually fairly smelly. This could be the case in your heap as
you say that the smell has faded a lot now it has been exposed to the air.

You could try using layers of woddy material on your heap in future to
create air spaces, and turning your heap over now and again to introduce
more air to it.

I think your neightbour sounds like a nightmare, and this isn't really a
problem that you need be concerned will get you in to any trouble.

Sacha Hubbard 04-04-2003 01:44 PM

Neighbours Help

in article , Ophelia at
wrote on 4/4/03 12:17 pm:

For the last year my compost bin has been at the end of my garden near shed
and fence. The garden is quite small. Last week we spread the compost on
the land reserved for fruit trees.

My neighbour's front door faces my garden. When we were digging in the
compost last week I must admit it was a wee bit niffy. Not sure why but
maybe someone can advise me later

We still have to finish it off and the smell will be gone. It has almost
gone now. She is screaming blue murder and is now sniffing against the
fence
where the compost bin is and inviting all the neighbours to have a wee sniff
as well (the bin is one from B&Q with a lid.

snip

I have absolutely no wish to make anyone unhappy.. no not even her but is
this OTT?

Very OTT, I'd say. Send her down here - a neighbouring farmer spread slurry
last w/e and that clears the nasal passages, I can tell you. And as for the
pig farm yesterday........
The only people to whom she can complain are the Environmental Health lot
who, unless you get rat-infested compost, won't be interested. The
'nuisance' has to be recorded by the complainer for a 5 week period IIRC and
be on a regular basis which your compost clearly isn't.
If you *really* want to get her going plant a neat row of Salvia sclarea
Turkestanica against your fence.......trouble is you'd have to move then!
;-)

--
Sacha

Ophelia 04-04-2003 01:56 PM

Neighbours Help

"bigboard" wrote in message
news:b6jspl$678i2$1@ID- IANAL, but I think she would only have recourse to
law if it was a
persistant nuisance. A couple of days wouldn't qualify.

As to why it smell, it could be that the heap has not been getting
enough air. Anaerobic decompostion (decomposition in the absence of
oxygen) is usually fairly smelly. This could be the case in your heap as
you say that the smell has faded a lot now it has been exposed to the air.

You could try using layers of woddy material on your heap in future to
create air spaces, and turning your heap over now and again to introduce
more air to it.

I think your neightbour sounds like a nightmare, and this isn't really a
problem that you need be concerned will get you in to any trouble.

This bin is plastic, no bottom and has a lid. I was told one had to keep
the lid on!

I have been reading a bit on this here and have Sulphate of ammonia on my
shopping list. It is not possible to turn the heap over, If I lift it off
I am left with a tower. I have been chopping down some of my bushes and I
intend to put it through the the shredder to add to it.

Many thanks:) I will be grateful for any advice:)

Ophelia

Ophelia 04-04-2003 01:56 PM

Neighbours Help

"Sacha Hubbard" wrote in message
in article , Ophelia at
wrote on 4/4/03 12:17 pm:

[...]

LOLOL Thank you Sacha:))

Ophelia

Victoria Clare 04-04-2003 02:33 PM

Neighbours Help

"Ophelia" wrote in
:

I have been reading a bit on this here and have Sulphate of ammonia on
my shopping list. It is not possible to turn the heap over, If I
lift it off I am left with a tower.

I had one of those. What I did was have 2 compost spots. When bin is
full, you lift bin off compost spot 1 and put it on compost spot 2, then
fork the tower back into the bin, thus mixing things up a bit and ending up
with what was the top on the bottom, so to speak.

Only works if you have space for 2 bins of course, but does work then.

Victoria

Ophelia 04-04-2003 02:56 PM

Neighbours Help

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
. 217...
"Ophelia" wrote in
:

I have been reading a bit on this here and have Sulphate of ammonia on
my shopping list. It is not possible to turn the heap over, If I
lift it off I am left with a tower.

I had one of those. What I did was have 2 compost spots. When bin is
full, you lift bin off compost spot 1 and put it on compost spot 2, then
fork the tower back into the bin, thus mixing things up a bit and ending

up
with what was the top on the bottom, so to speak.

Only works if you have space for 2 bins of course, but does work then.

Victoria

Thank you very much Victoria. I don't have space at the present but I guess
I could work on it. Does this mean that if I can't, I will end up with
smelly compost when I take it out?

Ophelia

Victoria Clare 04-04-2003 03:08 PM

Neighbours Help

"Ophelia" wrote in
:

Thank you very much Victoria. I don't have space at the present but I
guess I could work on it. Does this mean that if I can't, I will end
up with smelly compost when I take it out?

Well, I didn't! If bigboard is right about the smell being down to
anaerobic decomposition, it would help, though probably mixing in a bit
more twiggy stuff with your lawn mowings would work too.

Another thing I did when I couldn't be bothered to shift the bin was stab a
few deep holes in the heap from the top with a sharp stick: I'm not sure if
this worked, but my theory was that by creating a few 'shafts' from top to
bottom, the bottom got a bit more oxygen.

Hope this helps

Victoria

Mike 04-04-2003 03:44 PM

Neighbours Help

In article , Ophelia
writes
[...]

As many others have said, turn the compost if you can, but with regards
to the neighbour, if she is such a person that any little thing she
doesn't like then it's off to the Cop Shop, then don't be too worried,
they already know her down there and will give her a smile and send her
on her way with a 'Certainly madam, we will look into the compost bin
for you' ;-)

By the sounds of things, she doesn't have enough to do. Get her a job
knitting Bus Stops or Cross Stitching a few Manhole Covers :-((

As Sacha said, if you live in the country you must expect all sorts of
'Rural Smells', but if you live in a High Rise and are on the 14th floor
with a small balcony you share with her................. :-(

Have a nice day.

Mike

Forthcoming reunions. Royal Navy Social Weekend Sussex May 2nd - 5th.
H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th - June 2nd
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th. Plus many more

Ophelia 04-04-2003 03:56 PM

Neighbours Help

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
. 205...
"Ophelia" wrote in
:

Thank you very much Victoria. I don't have space at the present but I
guess I could work on it. Does this mean that if I can't, I will end
up with smelly compost when I take it out?

Well, I didn't! If bigboard is right about the smell being down to
anaerobic decomposition, it would help, though probably mixing in a bit
more twiggy stuff with your lawn mowings would work too.

Another thing I did when I couldn't be bothered to shift the bin was stab

few deep holes in the heap from the top with a sharp stick: I'm not sure

if
this worked, but my theory was that by creating a few 'shafts' from top to
bottom, the bottom got a bit more oxygen.

Hope this helps

Thanks Victoria. This does help;)

I am very grateful for all and any help:)

Ophelia:)

Ophelia 04-04-2003 04:08 PM

Neighbours Help

"Mike" wrote in message

As Sacha said, if you live in the country you must expect all sorts of
'Rural Smells', but if you live in a High Rise and are on the 14th floor
with a small balcony you share with her................. :-(

Well we are not country but not High Rise either. Just new town houses with
gardens.

Thanks:)

Btw was it you who was getting a doc's appointment?

If so.. how did it go?

Mike 04-04-2003 05:32 PM

Neighbours Help

In article , Ophelia
writes

"Mike" wrote in message

As Sacha said, if you live in the country you must expect all sorts of
'Rural Smells', but if you live in a High Rise and are on the 14th floor
with a small balcony you share with her................. :-(

Well we are not country but not High Rise either. Just new town houses with
gardens.

Thanks:)

Btw was it you who was getting a doc's appointment?

If so.. how did it go?

I, 'twas I.

Had appointment. "Hospital. Xray. Here's a note"

Hospital. Xray. "See your Doctor next week. We will send him the
results"

Phone call from the Doctor on Tuesday afternoon. "Couple of small marks.
Nothing unusual in that. No sign of Asbestosis"

:-))

Thanks for asking :-))

Ophelia 04-04-2003 07:32 PM

Neighbours Help

"Mike" wrote in message

Phone call from the Doctor on Tuesday afternoon. "Couple of small marks.
Nothing unusual in that. No sign of Asbestosis"

Excellent;)

I have just had my neighbour banging at the door screaming about reporting
us to the police, environmental health and probably the the CIA for all I
know:(

Ophelia

04-04-2003 07:32 PM

Neighbours Help

"Ophelia" wrote in message

I have just had my neighbour banging at the door screaming about reporting
us to the police, environmental health and probably the the CIA for all I
know:(

I recommend burying said neighbour under next year's heap. It will improve
the compost and remove an annoying pest. The skeleton can later be ground
into a very useful bone meal.

Colin Bignell

Zizz 04-04-2003 07:32 PM

Neighbours Help

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message

Phone call from the Doctor on Tuesday afternoon. "Couple of small marks.
Nothing unusual in that. No sign of Asbestosis"

Excellent;)

I have just had my neighbour banging at the door screaming about reporting
us to the police, environmental health and probably the the CIA for all I
know:(

Ophelia

I wonder if she does anything worthwhile with her garden!
You could offer her some of your compost and say it does wonders for insert
plant she has in he garden here.
Then again that would most likely wind her up!!!!

Mike 04-04-2003 07:44 PM

Neighbours Help

In article , Ophelia
writes

"Mike" wrote in message

Phone call from the Doctor on Tuesday afternoon. "Couple of small marks.
Nothing unusual in that. No sign of Asbestosis"

Excellent;)

Yes. Many thanks for your thoughts:-)

I have just had my neighbour banging at the door screaming about reporting
us to the police, environmental health and probably the the CIA for all I
know:(

When I have a paranoid person talking to me like that, I refer them to
the appropriate department, telephone number and even a name if
possible. Give it with a smile and they usually go away with their tail
between their legs.

Follow it up a couple of days later, again with a smile, with a 'By the
way, how did you get on with Mr .... over my Compost?'

I'm a ******* really :-)))
(But a nice one)

bnd777 04-04-2003 08:32 PM

Neighbours Help

Neighbours !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Join the club
Sounds like yours is like mine
Turns up her nose at my compost bins however posh they may be yet own side
of fence is a total tip but we dont worry about that of course

Ophelia 04-04-2003 08:56 PM

Neighbours Help

"Zizz" wrote in message

I wonder if she does anything worthwhile with her garden!
You could offer her some of your compost and say it does wonders for

insert
plant she has in he garden here.
Then again that would most likely wind her up!!!!

I don't know. I never liked her and have never made a friend of her. I
don't do the 'neighbour thing.. I prefer to muck around in my garden than
gossip. I hear enough from the other side of my fence:(

Her garden is at the back of her house.. behind it and I hve never been
round there. I have been told she had someone in to make it all posh and
she was showing everyone around:) Not me though:)

I don't think she will ever feed it, she doesn't seem to have a clue about
soil

O :)

Ophelia 04-04-2003 08:56 PM

Neighbours Help

"Mike" wrote in message
In article , Ophelia
writes

"Mike" wrote in message

[...]

LOL nice one. I wish:))

Ophelia 04-04-2003 08:56 PM

Neighbours Help

"bnd777" wrote in message
Neighbours !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Join the club
Sounds like yours is like mine
Turns up her nose at my compost bins however posh they may be yet own side
of fence is a total tip but we dont worry about that of course

Has she complained to any authorities about you?

This one is a snob and gob of the street. It seems that she is the boss of
the street LOL .. She wasn't too impressed with the reception she got here.
She went away yelling threats:(

Will give you updates if you want to stick pins in a doll of her along with
me :)

Mike 04-04-2003 08:56 PM

Neighbours Help

In article , Ophelia
writes

Will give you updates if you want to stick pins in a doll of her along with
me :)

Yup! I'll go along with that. What sort of spud do we need? Long and
thin? Short and dumpy, or will a chip do?

Mike

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and
taste good with ketchup.

Ophelia 04-04-2003 09:20 PM

Neighbours Help

"Mike" wrote in message
In article , Ophelia
writes

Will give you updates if you want to stick pins in a doll of her along

with
me :)

Yup! I'll go along with that. What sort of spud do we need? Long and
thin? Short and dumpy, or will a chip do?

LOL short and dumpy with screwed up face and mouth you know the type.... she
is in charge, bosses everyone around, thinks everyone has to cow tow to her
and shrieks a lot:) Come to think of it I met another one last year
*shudder* Thank goodness we are no longer in contact

bnd777 04-04-2003 09:32 PM

Neighbours Help

Yup
complained to Environmental Health that I had bonfires month in and month
out ........actually an incinerator twice a year
Threatened Police etc
Sent solicitors letter threatening Harassment when politely asked to remove
the trespass of her 120ft of conifers breaking our fence
You should just see the mess under said trees
and yes had someone in to spend 6 months on major landscaping but knows
nothing about the soil

bnd777 04-04-2003 09:32 PM

Neighbours Help

Add on bleached hair and stick in plenty of pins for me too
"Ophelia" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message
In article , Ophelia
writes

Jayne 04-04-2003 10:32 PM

Neighbours Help

I should really consider myself lucky that my neighbours are chickens! They
never complain - just look interested when we have a bonfire & cluck in
agreement with our plans!!! :-)

Mike 04-04-2003 10:44 PM

Neighbours Help

In article , Jayne
writes
I should really consider myself lucky that my neighbours are chickens! They
never complain - just look interested when we have a bonfire & cluck in
agreement with our plans!!! :-)

I think you are unlucky if you do not have nice neighbours around you.
We have great ones all round and the help and advice given and received
is always welcome. Always someone to have a chat with and pass the time
of day :-))

Sue & Bob Hobden 04-04-2003 11:08 PM

Neighbours Help

"Ophelia" wrote in message

Well, I didn't! If bigboard is right about the smell being down to
anaerobic decomposition, it would help, though probably mixing in a bit
more twiggy stuff with your lawn mowings would work too.

Another thing I did when I couldn't be bothered to shift the bin was

stab
few deep holes in the heap from the top with a sharp stick: I'm not sure

if
this worked, but my theory was that by creating a few 'shafts' from top

bottom, the bottom got a bit more oxygen.

Does your bin have a central plastic column to provide air to the heap? One
of ours does and one doesn't. Suggest a bit of plastic drainpipe with holes
drilled all around and along the pipe, pushed into the center of the heap to
provide air as the heap gets bigger. Straw or similar in layers will also
provide air pockets.
Our one with the central plastic tower does not smell and that's where we
put our kitchen waste, so it would be liable to.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Sue & Bob Hobden 04-04-2003 11:32 PM

Neighbours Help

"Ophelia" wrote in message
For the last year my compost bin has been at the end of my garden near

shed
and fence. The garden is quite small. Last week we spread the compost

on
the land reserved for fruit trees.

My neighbour's front door faces my garden. When we were digging in the
compost last week I must admit it was a wee bit niffy. Not sure why but
maybe someone can advise me later

We still have to finish it off and the smell will be gone. It has almost
gone now. She is screaming blue murder and is now sniffing against the
fence
where the compost bin is and inviting all the neighbours to have a wee

sniff
as well (the bin is one from B&Q with a lid.

As most Councils now hand out these plastic bins for a small sum because
they want all of us composting what can be composted instead of chucking it
in the dustbin I don't think any Council is going to take her side of this
argument. They may well send an "expert" to check your bin and advise you on
composting but I can't see anything being done for her benefit.
If they do make waves point out you are doing what they want.
Unfortunately her type also tend to "know" people, husband in Masons etc, so
always be polite to her just let her know what you are doing is good garden
practice, good "Green" practice, and suggest some books she might like to
read on soil improvement. A polite way of saying "you're ignorant".

Try some Horse Manure next, leave it to mature all summer (next to her
fence) before you use it. The ultimate threat? :-)

Sarah Dale 05-04-2003 12:44 AM

Neighbours Help

On Fri, 04 Apr 2003 14:59:13 +0100, Victoria Clare wrote:

"Ophelia" wrote in
Thank you very much Victoria. I don't have space at the present but I
guess I could work on it. Does this mean that if I can't, I will end
up with smelly compost when I take it out?

Hi Ophelia,

One other thing that may help you is to water your heap. Sounds a bit
strange at first, but especially as you have a plastic dalek heap, it is
necessary as it won't get rained on.

Funnily enough my BIL and SIL were complaining about the flies on their
new plastic dalek heap that's only been going 6 mths at max., and is their
first ever compost heap, my instant diagnosis was "Water it!".

Erm - you can also 'water' it with some recycled beer (urine) if you feel
brave. I don't do this, so can't comment on smell or effectiveness. My
heap is open, but I do add all coffee and tea dregs (as well as coffee
grounds and tea bags), also sometimes the water from boing veg / pasta,
the dreg ends of gravy etc..

Somewhat strangly, given that we do not eat a lot of citrus fruit, my heap
nearly always smells faintly of orange peel.... (well so I think at any
rate), however, when I used to run a plastic dalek heap, I occasionaly got
really smelly lumps in the compost where material had turned into silage
rather than compost. But this was nearly always due to a big clump of one
type of material being rammed in tight.

I would suggest mixing the stuff well as you chuck it in - if you have a
lot of hedge clippings, mix them with grass, if you've trimmed the ivy
back, mix it with the contents of the weeding bucket etc.. If you are
short of woody material you can add paper and cardboard. This will help
prevent anerobic consitions (i.e. silage production). I never turned the
stuff in my dalek - way too much work and very difficult. I just emptied
it 2 - 3 times a year, anything that wasn't compost was chucked back in.

Smell is personally subjective, what smells good to me may not smell good
to you ;-) Don't worry about your neighbour - she is just being majorly
petty. Implement URG's suggestions and most of that smell should go. Given
the new rules imposed on local councils with regard to composting organic
waste, they should be on your side for wanting to do you own - even if
your neighbour complains about the smell! As others have siad, I don't
think anyone could do anything unless your heap was proved to be a health
hazard, which is extremely unlikely! After all, the smell of dacaying
organic materials is perfectly normal unluike some other smells I could
mention.

Sarah
(P.S. I also see you on the sewing groups!)

Ophelia 05-04-2003 08:08 AM

Neighbours Help

"Sue & Bob Hobden" wrote in message

[...]

All good suggestions... well the Horse Manure is a wee bit wicked:))) I
don't think she is the type to read a book. She is at her window all day
looking for neighbours to pounce on:(

Our council doesn't give out bins but I think they have a bag type
collection for composting material. Of course I keep mine.

Thanks again Bob:))

Ophelia 05-04-2003 08:08 AM

Neighbours Help

"Sue & Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Our one with the central plastic tower does not smell and that's where we
put our kitchen waste, so it would be liable to.

Thanks Bob that is a brilliant idea. I will take up the idea of the pipe
down the cent)

Ophelia 05-04-2003 08:08 AM

Neighbours Help

Hi Sarah:)

Erm - you can also 'water' it with some recycled beer (urine) if you feel
brave. I don't do this, so can't comment on smell or effectiveness.

Cor she would love that LOL

My
heap is open, but I do add all coffee and tea dregs (as well as coffee
grounds and tea bags),

So do I although I thought there was new law about tea bags? I tend to
smuggle mine in LOL

BTW I have taken on board about putting a piece of perforated piping down
the centre.. do you think it would be useful to drill holes in the outside
of the bin itself?

also sometimes the water from boing veg / pasta,
the dreg ends of gravy etc..

I have a lot to learn. I would have thought that would produce more
silage:) But it shall be done:)

[...]

Excellent. just the stuff I need to know:) I am just imagining madam's face
if we start to pull it out every few months LOL

Smell is personally subjective, what smells good to me may not smell good
to you ;-) Don't worry about your neighbour - she is just being majorly
petty. Implement URG's suggestions and most of that smell should go. Given
the new rules imposed on local councils with regard to composting organic
waste, they should be on your side for wanting to do you own - even if
your neighbour complains about the smell! As others have siad, I don't
think anyone could do anything unless your heap was proved to be a health
hazard, which is extremely unlikely! After all, the smell of dacaying
organic materials is perfectly normal unluike some other smells I could
mention.

Quite so. I don't know how this woman thinks things grow if they are not
fed:( Well it could take a long time for her posh new garden to die but I
wonder what she will do when it does!

Sarah
(P.S. I also see you on the sewing groups!)

Ooooh will keep a look out for you:)))))

Jayne 05-04-2003 08:32 AM

Neighbours Help

My neighbours are all very nice - the chickens are behind us & are really
the only ones affected by anything we do in the garden as the houses are
quite far apart - only 5 houses down our end of the lane.

:)
Jayne

Jayne 05-04-2003 08:32 AM

Neighbours Help

I agree - our council gives you your first bin free & then you can buy
further ones for £13.50.
My first one is full & we have another growing heap at the bottom of the
garden - I'm going to order a couple more.
We also have a recycling collection twice a month & a brand new recycling
centre for larger stuff, so as the councils are so keen on recycling &
composting I doubt they'd take any notice of her complaining about it!

Jayne

david 05-04-2003 08:44 AM

Neighbours Help

".....Try some Horse Manure next, leave it to mature all summer (next to her
fence) before you use it. The ultimate threat? ......."

I remember one poor person: living on the outskirts of Cardiff: who in their
Ignorance had a load of Pig manure delivered, It was tipped on the pavement
outside their house,and had to be moved down side path to the back garden.
6 months later you could still smell it.
Now that is a great way to create Neighbours from Hell.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Ophelia 05-04-2003 08:44 AM

Neighbours Help

"Mike" wrote in message
I think you are unlucky if you do not have nice neighbours around you.
We have great ones all round and the help and advice given and received
is always welcome. Always someone to have a chat with and pass the time
of day :-))

All this sounds like bliss. We have to stay here just now because we both
work, but when we retire... hopefully it will be something like these
situations:)

Ophelia 05-04-2003 08:44 AM

Neighbours Help

"david" wrote in message
".....Try some Horse Manure next, leave it to mature all summer (next to

her
fence) before you use it. The ultimate threat? ......."

I remember one poor person: living on the outskirts of Cardiff: who in

their
Ignorance had a load of Pig manure delivered, It was tipped on the

pavement
outside their house,and had to be moved down side path to the back garden.
6 months later you could still smell it.
Now that is a great way to create Neighbours from Hell.

LOL now that would clear your tubes

O :)

Kay Easton 05-04-2003 10:56 AM

Neighbours Help

In article , Sarah
Dale writes

Erm - you can also 'water' it with some recycled beer (urine) if you feel
brave. I don't do this, so can't comment on smell or effectiveness. My
heap is open, but I do add all coffee and tea dregs (as well as coffee
grounds and tea bags), also sometimes the water from boing veg / pasta,
the dreg ends of gravy etc..

Somewhat strangly, given that we do not eat a lot of citrus fruit, my heap
nearly always smells faintly of orange peel.... (well so I think at any
rate), however, when I used to run a plastic dalek heap, I occasionaly got
really smelly lumps in the compost where material had turned into silage
rather than compost. But this was nearly always due to a big clump of one
type of material being rammed in tight.

A long time ago I used to live in a house with no indoor toilet. Since
it also had no heating in the bedroom, there was absolutely no
temptation to make night time visits to the toilet down the garden, so
we used to keep a bucket by the back door, and added the contents to the
hole in the ground into which I used to tip the veg peelings and tea
leaves. It was the best and sweetest compost I've ever made.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Sacha 05-04-2003 01:08 PM

Neighbours Help

in article , Ophelia at
wrote on 4/4/03 7:16 pm:

"Mike" wrote in message

Phone call from the Doctor on Tuesday afternoon. "Couple of small marks.
Nothing unusual in that. No sign of Asbestosis"

Excellent;)

I have just had my neighbour banging at the door screaming about reporting
us to the police, environmental health and probably the the CIA for all I
know:(

Ophelia

I'd be inclined to tell her that if she persists in her harassment of you
going about your private business on your own property, you will consult
your lawyer.
Where I lived before, there was one neighbour - who was a bit potty,
frankly. Luckily for me, she lived opposite me, not next door but she drove
the people either side of her nearly mad. I complained about her putting
her dogs out at 4am on freezing cold mornings and leaving the poor things to
bark and bark and bark and the EH people warned her. But eventually, I
contacted the RSPCA and they went round her. She had such a fright that she
stopped that straight away.
However, her 'side' neighbours banded together and got a court injunction
against her, preventing her from deliberately blocking drains etc. Perhaps
you could sort of 'hint' to your neighbour that you'll be having a word with
other neighbours about doing something similar to keep her nose out of the
perfectly harmless affairs of others.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Ophelia 05-04-2003 01:44 PM

Neighbours Help

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

A long time ago I used to live in a house with no indoor toilet. Since
it also had no heating in the bedroom, there was absolutely no
temptation to make night time visits to the toilet down the garden, so
we used to keep a bucket by the back door, and added the contents to the
hole in the ground into which I used to tip the veg peelings and tea
leaves. It was the best and sweetest compost I've ever made.

Thanks for that:)

Today we bought a drainpipe to put down the centre of the bin. We will
drill holes in it and see what happens. Does anyone think it would be a
good idea to drill holes in the actuall bin too?