Old 04-04-2003, 12:20 PM
Ophelia

Default Neighbours Help

For the last year my compost bin has been at the end of my garden near shed
and fence. The garden is quite small. Last week we spread the compost on
the land reserved for fruit trees.

My neighbour's front door faces my garden. When we were digging in the
compost last week I must admit it was a wee bit niffy. Not sure why but
maybe someone can advise me later

We still have to finish it off and the smell will be gone. It has almost
gone now. She is screaming blue murder and is now sniffing against the
fence
where the compost bin is and inviting all the neighbours to have a wee sniff
as well (the bin is one from B&Q with a lid.

I know the smell will be gone as indeed it almost is after the work this
weekend. There was no smell at all for the last year. Does she have any
recourse in law as she gets obsessed with any wee problem in life and rushes
off to the police . I don't have anywhere else to site the bin and given
she had no complaint for the
whole of last year I don't see why I should. Or should I?

I have absolutely no wish to make anyone unhappy.. no not even her but is
this OTT?

Comments please?

Ophelia
Scotland

Old 04-04-2003, 01:20 PM
bigboard

Ophelia wrote:
[...]

IANAL, but I think she would only have recourse to law if it was a
persistant nuisance. A couple of days wouldn't qualify.

As to why it smell, it could be that the heap has not been getting
enough air. Anaerobic decompostion (decomposition in the absence of
oxygen) is usually fairly smelly. This could be the case in your heap as
you say that the smell has faded a lot now it has been exposed to the air.

You could try using layers of woddy material on your heap in future to
create air spaces, and turning your heap over now and again to introduce
more air to it.

I think your neightbour sounds like a nightmare, and this isn't really a
problem that you need be concerned will get you in to any trouble.

Old 04-04-2003, 01:44 PM
Sacha Hubbard

in article , Ophelia at
wrote on 4/4/03 12:17 pm:

For the last year my compost bin has been at the end of my garden near shed
and fence. The garden is quite small. Last week we spread the compost on
the land reserved for fruit trees.

My neighbour's front door faces my garden. When we were digging in the
compost last week I must admit it was a wee bit niffy. Not sure why but
maybe someone can advise me later

We still have to finish it off and the smell will be gone. It has almost
gone now. She is screaming blue murder and is now sniffing against the
fence
where the compost bin is and inviting all the neighbours to have a wee sniff
as well (the bin is one from B&Q with a lid.

snip

I have absolutely no wish to make anyone unhappy.. no not even her but is
this OTT?

Very OTT, I'd say. Send her down here - a neighbouring farmer spread slurry
last w/e and that clears the nasal passages, I can tell you. And as for the
pig farm yesterday........
The only people to whom she can complain are the Environmental Health lot
who, unless you get rat-infested compost, won't be interested. The
'nuisance' has to be recorded by the complainer for a 5 week period IIRC and
be on a regular basis which your compost clearly isn't.
If you *really* want to get her going plant a neat row of Salvia sclarea
Turkestanica against your fence.......trouble is you'd have to move then!
;-)

--
Sacha

Old 04-04-2003, 01:56 PM
Ophelia

"bigboard" wrote in message
news:b6jspl$678i2$1@ID- IANAL, but I think she would only have recourse to
law if it was a
persistant nuisance. A couple of days wouldn't qualify.

As to why it smell, it could be that the heap has not been getting
enough air. Anaerobic decompostion (decomposition in the absence of
oxygen) is usually fairly smelly. This could be the case in your heap as
you say that the smell has faded a lot now it has been exposed to the air.

You could try using layers of woddy material on your heap in future to
create air spaces, and turning your heap over now and again to introduce
more air to it.

I think your neightbour sounds like a nightmare, and this isn't really a
problem that you need be concerned will get you in to any trouble.

This bin is plastic, no bottom and has a lid. I was told one had to keep
the lid on!

I have been reading a bit on this here and have Sulphate of ammonia on my
shopping list. It is not possible to turn the heap over, If I lift it off
I am left with a tower. I have been chopping down some of my bushes and I
intend to put it through the the shredder to add to it.

Many thanks I will be grateful for any advice

Ophelia

Old 04-04-2003, 01:56 PM
Ophelia

"Sacha Hubbard" wrote in message
in article , Ophelia at
wrote on 4/4/03 12:17 pm:

[...]

LOLOL Thank you Sacha)

Ophelia

Old 04-04-2003, 02:33 PM
Victoria Clare

"Ophelia" wrote in
:

I have been reading a bit on this here and have Sulphate of ammonia on
my shopping list. It is not possible to turn the heap over, If I
lift it off I am left with a tower.

I had one of those. What I did was have 2 compost spots. When bin is
full, you lift bin off compost spot 1 and put it on compost spot 2, then
fork the tower back into the bin, thus mixing things up a bit and ending up
with what was the top on the bottom, so to speak.

Only works if you have space for 2 bins of course, but does work then.

Victoria
Old 04-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Ophelia

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
. 217...
"Ophelia" wrote in
:

I have been reading a bit on this here and have Sulphate of ammonia on
my shopping list. It is not possible to turn the heap over, If I
lift it off I am left with a tower.

I had one of those. What I did was have 2 compost spots. When bin is
full, you lift bin off compost spot 1 and put it on compost spot 2, then
fork the tower back into the bin, thus mixing things up a bit and ending

up
with what was the top on the bottom, so to speak.

Only works if you have space for 2 bins of course, but does work then.

Victoria

Thank you very much Victoria. I don't have space at the present but I guess
I could work on it. Does this mean that if I can't, I will end up with
smelly compost when I take it out?

Ophelia

Old 04-04-2003, 03:08 PM
Victoria Clare

"Ophelia" wrote in
:

Thank you very much Victoria. I don't have space at the present but I
guess I could work on it. Does this mean that if I can't, I will end
up with smelly compost when I take it out?

Well, I didn't! If bigboard is right about the smell being down to
anaerobic decomposition, it would help, though probably mixing in a bit
more twiggy stuff with your lawn mowings would work too.

Another thing I did when I couldn't be bothered to shift the bin was stab a
few deep holes in the heap from the top with a sharp stick: I'm not sure if
this worked, but my theory was that by creating a few 'shafts' from top to
bottom, the bottom got a bit more oxygen.

Hope this helps

Victoria
Old 04-04-2003, 03:44 PM
Mike

In article , Ophelia
writes
[...]

As many others have said, turn the compost if you can, but with regards
to the neighbour, if she is such a person that any little thing she
doesn't like then it's off to the Cop Shop, then don't be too worried,
they already know her down there and will give her a smile and send her
on her way with a 'Certainly madam, we will look into the compost bin
for you' ;-)

By the sounds of things, she doesn't have enough to do. Get her a job
knitting Bus Stops or Cross Stitching a few Manhole Covers :-((

As Sacha said, if you live in the country you must expect all sorts of
'Rural Smells', but if you live in a High Rise and are on the 14th floor
with a small balcony you share with her................. :-(

Have a nice day.

Mike

Forthcoming reunions. Royal Navy Social Weekend Sussex May 2nd - 5th.
H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th - June 2nd
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th. Plus many more

Old 04-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Ophelia

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
. 205...
"Ophelia" wrote in
:

Thank you very much Victoria. I don't have space at the present but I
guess I could work on it. Does this mean that if I can't, I will end
up with smelly compost when I take it out?

Well, I didn't! If bigboard is right about the smell being down to
anaerobic decomposition, it would help, though probably mixing in a bit
more twiggy stuff with your lawn mowings would work too.

Another thing I did when I couldn't be bothered to shift the bin was stab

few deep holes in the heap from the top with a sharp stick: I'm not sure

if
this worked, but my theory was that by creating a few 'shafts' from top to
bottom, the bottom got a bit more oxygen.

Hope this helps

Thanks Victoria. This does help

I am very grateful for all and any help

Ophelia

Old 04-04-2003, 04:08 PM
Ophelia

"Mike" wrote in message

As Sacha said, if you live in the country you must expect all sorts of
'Rural Smells', but if you live in a High Rise and are on the 14th floor
with a small balcony you share with her................. :-(

Well we are not country but not High Rise either. Just new town houses with
gardens.

Thanks

Btw was it you who was getting a doc's appointment?

If so.. how did it go?

Old 04-04-2003, 05:32 PM
Mike

In article , Ophelia
writes

"Mike" wrote in message

As Sacha said, if you live in the country you must expect all sorts of
'Rural Smells', but if you live in a High Rise and are on the 14th floor
with a small balcony you share with her................. :-(

Well we are not country but not High Rise either. Just new town houses with
gardens.

Thanks

Btw was it you who was getting a doc's appointment?

If so.. how did it go?

I, 'twas I.

Had appointment. "Hospital. Xray. Here's a note"

Hospital. Xray. "See your Doctor next week. We will send him the
results"

Phone call from the Doctor on Tuesday afternoon. "Couple of small marks.
Nothing unusual in that. No sign of Asbestosis"

:-))

Thanks for asking :-))

Old 04-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Ophelia

"Mike" wrote in message

Phone call from the Doctor on Tuesday afternoon. "Couple of small marks.
Nothing unusual in that. No sign of Asbestosis"

Excellent

I have just had my neighbour banging at the door screaming about reporting
us to the police, environmental health and probably the the CIA for all I
know

Ophelia

Old 04-04-2003, 07:32 PM

"Ophelia" wrote in message

I have just had my neighbour banging at the door screaming about reporting
us to the police, environmental health and probably the the CIA for all I
know

I recommend burying said neighbour under next year's heap. It will improve
the compost and remove an annoying pest. The skeleton can later be ground
into a very useful bone meal.

Colin Bignell

Old 04-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Zizz

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message

Phone call from the Doctor on Tuesday afternoon. "Couple of small marks.
Nothing unusual in that. No sign of Asbestosis"

Excellent

I have just had my neighbour banging at the door screaming about reporting
us to the police, environmental health and probably the the CIA for all I
know

Ophelia

I wonder if she does anything worthwhile with her garden!
You could offer her some of your compost and say it does wonders for insert
plant she has in he garden here.
Then again that would most likely wind her up!!!!