Old 01-03-2006, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mel

Default Allotment Planning

I've just found a fairly useful site that briefly tells you when to plant
what on your allotment (for any others like me with a new allotment and who
haven't got a clue!). http://www.exeter.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1710

Regards

Old 01-03-2006, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy

In article , Mel
writes
I've just found a fairly useful site that briefly tells you when to plant
what on your allotment (for any others like me with a new allotment and who
haven't got a clue!). http://www.exeter.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1710

Regards

Thanks Mel, good to use at any time!
The very old Reader's Digest gardening book/encyclopedia I have does the
same with all types of gardening though I daresay the times are
different now wit global warming

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 01-03-2006, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Mel wrote:
I've just found a fairly useful site that briefly tells you when to plant
what on your allotment (for any others like me with a new allotment and who
haven't got a clue!). http://www.exeter.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1710

Ta )

But what does 'lift and frost' rhubarb means? Lift yes, but frost? I'd
say force (cover) ....?

Old 01-03-2006, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

oddballdave wrote:
Rhubarb needs a period of cold to start its growth cycle.
If you lift a crown before Christmas,
let the first frost get to it,
then replant it.
If you cover two crowns (this one and another)
when you eventually get to harvest the forcings
the 'frosted' crown will have had an earlier start, so will have the
better harvest.
http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/rhubarb-growing.html

Thank you kindly. I've never done anything to my rhubarb, see.

Old 02-03-2006, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
someone here

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...

oddballdave wrote:
Rhubarb needs a period of cold to start its growth cycle.
If you lift a crown before Christmas,
let the first frost get to it,
then replant it.
If you cover two crowns (this one and another)
when you eventually get to harvest the forcings
the 'frosted' crown will have had an earlier start, so will have the
better harvest.
http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/rhubarb-growing.html

Thank you kindly. I've never done anything to my rhubarb, see.

Nor Me.
Never needed to.
But I knew that it needs to get cold before it will start to grow,
the best rhubarb is always after a bad winter.

Dave