Old 01-03-2006, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CK

Default Quick help with choosing gardening books please

Hi,

I had asked opinion about the Gardeners' Book Society before. It seems that
this time, there are some good offers to me.

Though one of my bookshelves had collapsed due to the heavy weight of
gardening books and magazines, I still prefer them than online sources as my
serious short-sightedness now disagrees me to work on computer for more than
half an hour each time. Otherwise, I may have problem of dryness and sore.
8-(

I would like to have some good reference on general, organic and kitchen
gardening, help me to recognise plants in my garden. As my husband will
retire from being a university warden in the coming academic year, we will
move back to the house where we have used a quarter of it as a vegetable
garden, I would like to get some more ideas on how to transform the other
parts of the garden.

The choices a
1. Free: RHS Pest & Diseases
2. Optional for 10 days reply: RHS A-Z encyclopedia of garden plants (ąG5.0 - ąG20.0)

I would like to choose:
3. RHS Encyclopedia of gardening (ąG35.0 - ąG4.99)

And 3 out of the 4 below (0f course there are other choices but I don't
think I want them at the moment)
4. Design & Planting by Andrew Mclndoe (ąG22.5 - 99p) will be in the market
in this month, so I couldn't find any book review on it. Anyone know about
the author?
5. The Allotment Book by Andy Clevely (ąG17.99 - 99p)
6. The complete book of vegetables herbs & fruit by Mathew Biggs, etc. (ąG30.0
- ąG7.5)
7. They Encyclopedia of planting companions by Tony Lord, etc (ąG35.0 - ąG7.5)

I am not sure whether the content of 5 & 6 will overlap a lot or not, or the
same between 4 & 7.

I would like to read opinion not only on the content but also on the font.
I think my eyes can still cope with font 10 of Times New Roman but not tiny
print now.

Thank you for any opinion in advance.
CK

--
With regards,
Chi King

Chi King TSANG
IT tutor
School of Education and Lifelong Learning
University of Wales, Aberystwyth

Old 02-03-2006, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy

In article , CK
writes
Hi,
I would like to read opinion not only on the content but also on the font.
I think my eyes can still cope with font 10 of Times New Roman but not tiny
print now.

Thank you for any opinion in advance.
CK

Not sure if it helps CK but there is a device that you place over the
book page and transfers the text to your screen so that you can see it
as large as you need.
The best books I ever used for practical purposes were
Home Growing edited by Anne Bonar, largish type and easy to understand
pictures, very comprehensive.
And
a very old copy of The Gardening Year by the Reader's Digest which has
smaller types but covered all things in the garden and did it month by
month as well.

Some books are lovely to own and look at and use as reference for
looking up stuff but I personally find when it comes to actually going
into the garden and sowing seeds or whatever I actually drag out my two
old books.

What about ordering the books first from the local library to see if
they are of any use?

When I joined the gardening book club I ordered two of the RHS
encyclopaedias and raffled one for the local Gardening Club!

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association