Old 02-03-2006, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Trevor

Default Paneless Compost?

I compost all my junk mail - about a carry bag a day including a bit of
other waste paper.

Does anyone know if the panes in the envelopes will biodegrade?

I always take them out because they look like plastic to me.

Trevor

East Yorkshire

Old 02-03-2006, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally Thompson

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 17:41:22 +0000, Trevor wrote
(in article ):

I compost all my junk mail - about a carry bag a day including a bit of
other waste paper.

Does anyone know if the panes in the envelopes will biodegrade?

I always take them out because they look like plastic to me.

No they don't - I take mine out as well. Interestingly our local recycling
system will accept envelopes but *not* window envelopes - presumably for the
same reason. (Satisfying putting junk mail on the compost, isn't it.)

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

Old 02-03-2006, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Trevor

(Satisfying putting junk mail on the compost, isn't it.)

....not arff! It goes straight from the postie and onto the compost, just
lightly scrunched up...no need for shredders.

And I'm registered with postal preference service for no junk mail!

Old 02-03-2006, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Crazy Dog

"Trevor" wrote in message
I compost all my junk mail - about a carry bag a day including a bit of
other waste paper.

I send any junk mail with a freepost envelope back to where it came from.
Stuffed with junk mail I received without freepost envelopes.

--
Crazy Dog
(Supporting Royal Mail)

Old 02-03-2006, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Rees

In message , Crazy Dog
writes

"Trevor" wrote in message
I compost all my junk mail - about a carry bag a day including a bit of
other waste paper.

I send any junk mail with a freepost envelope back to where it came from.
Stuffed with junk mail I received without freepost envelopes.

We bought sandwiches in M&S the other day and it said that the
"cellophane" wrapper was made of 100% degradable corn starch. So others
may follow suit
--
Nick Rees

Old 02-03-2006, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gary Woods

"Crazy Dog" wrote:

I send any junk mail with a freepost envelope back to where it came from.
Stuffed with junk mail I received without freepost envelopes.

And you're not the only one.

Here in the U.S., you can no longer tape a prepaid envelope to a brick and
drop in the mail, though.... pity.

Snow predicted in (New) York, but it's behind schedule, and apparently
veering southward.

Old 02-03-2006, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 2/3/06 17:41, in article
, "Trevor"
wrote:

I compost all my junk mail - about a carry bag a day including a bit of
other waste paper.

Does anyone know if the panes in the envelopes will biodegrade?

I don't think so, Trevor because here, we are required to put them into a
different rubbish bin.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 02-03-2006, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"Sally Thompson" wrote in message
al.net...
On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 17:41:22 +0000, Trevor wrote
(in article ):

I compost all my junk mail - about a carry bag a day including a bit of
other waste paper.

Does anyone know if the panes in the envelopes will biodegrade?

I always take them out because they look like plastic to me.

No they don't - I take mine out as well. Interestingly our local
recycling
system will accept envelopes but *not* window envelopes - presumably for
the
same reason. (Satisfying putting junk mail on the compost, isn't it.)

No, I much prefer to send it back in the enclosed envelope, without a stamp!

Alan

Old 02-03-2006, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"Nick Rees" wrote in message
In message , Crazy Dog
writes

"Trevor" wrote in message
I compost all my junk mail - about a carry bag a day including a bit of
other waste paper.

I send any junk mail with a freepost envelope back to where it came from.
Stuffed with junk mail I received without freepost envelopes.

We bought sandwiches in M&S the other day and it said that the
"cellophane" wrapper was made of 100% degradable corn starch. So others
may follow suit

The Co-op have been using biodegrable plastic bags for many years.

Alan

--
Nick Rees

Old 02-03-2006, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"Sacha" wrote in message
id...
On 2/3/06 17:41, in article
, "Trevor"
wrote:

I compost all my junk mail - about a carry bag a day including a bit of
other waste paper.

Does anyone know if the panes in the envelopes will biodegrade?

I don't think so, Trevor because here, we are required to put them into a
different rubbish bin.

But, if everybody who got this rubbish were to send it back in the enclosed
envelope without a stamp, it might, just, persuade these idiots to stop
sending it!

Alan

--
Sacha