Old 03-03-2006, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Alnus

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| We have hazels here and there in hedges round the nursery and a couple on
| the edges of the garden. We have ash, we have oak, beech, copper beech,
| cedars, pines (one is the rather unusual Pinus montezuma) we have yew. I'm
| looking out of my window at a Cordyline or two and a treefern! But we do
| not have alders.

My remark was generic. If you had a seriously waterlogged patch,
then alders would be happy but hazel would not like it much. Cold
is, of course, not your problem.

From that list, most of the garden must be reasonably well-drained,
but that doesn't mean that all of it is!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 3/3/06 11:18, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| We have hazels here and there in hedges round the nursery and a couple on
| the edges of the garden. We have ash, we have oak, beech, copper beech,
| cedars, pines (one is the rather unusual Pinus montezuma) we have yew. I'm
| looking out of my window at a Cordyline or two and a treefern! But we do
| not have alders.

My remark was generic. If you had a seriously waterlogged patch,
then alders would be happy but hazel would not like it much. Cold
is, of course, not your problem.

From that list, most of the garden must be reasonably well-drained,
but that doesn't mean that all of it is!

Patchy is a good word, I think! In winter, the main lawn is absolutely
water-logged but in summer it can dry out so badly that a man can put his
arm right down into the fissures that develop at the bottom of the lawn.
OTOH, an attempt to establish a yew hedge at the top part of the nursery
area failed because they were just too water logged in winter. But on the
flat tea room lawn just yards down the path, they're thriving.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 03-03-2006, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

I think Garrya eliptica James Root is a fantastic plant - for a couple of
months - then I think it's one of the most boring things ever created so to
suggest it instead of an alder is mind-boggling, given the entirely
different sorts of plant that they are! I suspect that Puce saw the word
'catkins', Googled on that and came up with Garrya

Stop it Sacha. Just stop it now. I can't take this any more. What do
you want from me? We have a Garrya, in between me and my neighbours. It
is a marvelous thing and I suggested it because of the catkins. Why are
you so bitter with me?