Old 05-04-2003, 03:20 PM
Sally Pointer

Default Plants for slopes?

We've just had my mother in law's garden terraced, most is either already
behind retaining walls or well under 40degrees and should stay put fine one
the plants are in. One terrace though is held back by very large boulders
(1m square approx) so though the terrace itself is secure there is quite a
lot of bare soil showing between the stones. We need to choose some plants
which will both be happy on a sunny, reasonably acid (we're in Wales) slope,
but which will also help stabilise that loose surface. We also keep bees so
if its something they will like, so much the better. In terms of aesthetics,
the terrace above will be a herb garden and the terrace below a fruit
garden.
Any ideas?
Sally

Old 05-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Sally Pointer wrote:
We've just had my mother in law's garden terraced, most is either already
behind retaining walls or well under 40degrees and should stay put fine one
the plants are in. One terrace though is held back by very large boulders
(1m square approx) so though the terrace itself is secure there is quite a
lot of bare soil showing between the stones. We need to choose some plants
which will both be happy on a sunny, reasonably acid (we're in Wales) slope,
but which will also help stabilise that loose surface. We also keep bees so
if its something they will like, so much the better. In terms of aesthetics,
the terrace above will be a herb garden and the terrace below a fruit
garden.

What's the soil like and what's the aspect? There are a lot of plants
that will fit the bill, but which ones will depend on those two questions.
As you say "sunny", I assume not north facing!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-04-2003, 08:32 PM
Sally Pointer

What's the soil like and what's the aspect? There are a lot of plants
that will fit the bill, but which ones will depend on those two questions.
As you say "sunny", I assume not north facing!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Soil is lovely, used to be an old veg garden, but we're right on top of the
hill (about 800ft above sea level I suppose) and it gets sun most of the
day. When it gets cold it really howls up there but on nice days it will
bake. Usually rains several times a week if not more.
Sally

Commercial Lawn Mower for Steep Slopes john wright Lawns 0 01-07-2009 03:12 AM
The ultimate mower for slopes hobbes Gardening 10 10-06-2008 10:37 PM
Ground cover and grass fight soil erosion on slopes [email protected] Gardening 0 19-07-2006 03:10 PM
Steep slopes Xpamh Gardening 2 15-05-2004 02:08 AM
Logging on slopes up for vote Daniel B. Wheeler alt.forestry 4 30-01-2003 04:56 PM