Old 09-03-2006, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

Default When do I stop feeding peanuts to the birds?

Deep in my memory, I'm sure there is a notion, that at some time, birds have
to be stopped from eating peanuts, and fed on seeds.

Alan

Old 09-03-2006, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Deep in my memory, I'm sure there is a notion, that at some time,
birds have to be stopped from eating peanuts, and fed on seeds.

Alan

If they have access to whole peanuts during nesting, the
theory is that they may feed entire nuts to nestlings
and thus choke them.

Whether the birds are actually that stupid is another
matter. As many birds peck away at peanuts while perching
as it is. However nestbox evidence may suggest otherwise,

While the same objection would presumbly apply
to large sunflower seeds as well.

In addition,by that time there should be additional
natural food sources available in any case.

If nuts are dispensed in a nut feeder there should possibly
be less of a problem. In a home-made squirrel-proof nut feeder
consisting of two thicknesses of rolled mesh, even less so.

michael adams

Old 09-03-2006, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Fawthrop

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 14:27:41 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

|Deep in my memory, I'm sure there is a notion, that at some time, birds have
|to be stopped from eating peanuts, and fed on seeds.

*salted* peanuts are a bad thing for birds.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Freedom of Speech, Expression, Religion, and Democracy are
Old 09-03-2006, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Peter Edwards

See:
http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/advice/...ing_season.asp

Old 09-03-2006, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Fawthrop

On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 15:12:14 -0000, "Peter Edwards"
wrote:

|See:
|http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/advice/...ing_season.asp

Therefore, never put out loose peanuts, dry hard foods, large chunks of
bread, or fats during the spring or summer months.

Note the loose.

|"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

| Deep in my memory, I'm sure there is a notion, that at some time, birds
| have to be stopped from eating peanuts, and fed on seeds.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Killfile and Anti Troll FAQs at
http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killfile.

Old 09-03-2006, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave the exTrailer

wrote:

|Deep in my memory, I'm sure there is a notion, that at some time, birds have
|to be stopped from eating peanuts, and fed on seeds.

*salted* peanuts are a bad thing for birds.

holding your breath under water for an hour is dangerous too

Now why dont you just go back to uk.n.n.c and support the creation of
your group
there's a good boy

Old 09-03-2006, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave the exTrailer

wrote:

Deep in my memory, I'm sure there is a notion, that at some time, birds have
to be stopped from eating peanuts, and fed on seeds.

Alan

I usually stop when I start to see lots of bugs crawling around flying