Old 10-03-2006, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Crazy Dog

Default Cape Jasmine - Inside, Or Out?

I bought a Cape Jasmine a month, or so ago, to go in a bed at the end of my
back garden. At the garden centre it was in a well sheltered (and covered)
outside area. Now I'm having second thoughts about putting it outside as it
has a label which says "position in bright light (not direct sun) in a warm
room."

The bed I planned for it is sheltered and partially shaded. If I decide to
transplant it outside I'll harden it off, for a week or so, once the
overnight frosts have gone, and plant it in ericaceous compost.

Am I asking for trouble putting this plant outside?

What height and spread should I expect?

Can it be pruned to keep it in shape/bushy?

--
Crazy Dog
Birmingham

Old 11-03-2006, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Crazy Dog" wrote in message
[...]

Are you talking about Tecoma capensis? if so I can not get it through the
winter here but it is occasionally possible in the mildest gardens. The odds
are against you :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 12-03-2006, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Crazy Dog

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Crazy Dog" contains these words:

I bought a Cape Jasmine a month, or so ago, to go in a bed at the end of

my
back garden. At the garden centre it was in a well sheltered (and

covered)
outside area. Now I'm having second thoughts about putting it outside as

it
has a label which says "position in bright light (not direct sun) in a

warm
room."

Am I asking for trouble putting this plant outside?

I'm not sure which plant you're talking about. Google gives "cape
jasmine" as both gardenia (definitely not hardy outdoors in UK) and the
twining climbing jasmine, some of which are hardy in some areas. Has the
label got the latin name?

The only latin on the label is Gardenia. It looks as though I have a new
lodger.

Back to the drawing board to find a suitable interesting plant for the back
garden.

Old 12-03-2006, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 12/3/06 15:06, in article , "Crazy Dog"
wrote:

[...]

Can I suggest that you take it back to the garden centre and ask if you can
exchange it for a different something? Places differ as to policy on that
sort of thing but if it's still in its pot and has its label, I don't see
why they shouldn't oblige you. And if you do, will you ask them what is
really is, just to satisfy our curiosity?!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 12-03-2006, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Crazy Dog

id...

wrote:

[...]

I quite like it so it has a home whether it goes outside or stays in.

Old 12-03-2006, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 12/3/06 17:18, in article , "Crazy Dog"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
id...

snip
Can I suggest that you take it back to the garden centre and ask if you
can
exchange it for a different something? Places differ as to policy on that
sort of thing but if it's still in its pot and has its label, I don't see
why they shouldn't oblige you. And if you do, will you ask them what is
really is, just to satisfy our curiosity?!

I quite like it so it has a home whether it goes outside or stays in.

Oh good! That really IS a happy result.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Cape Sundew Tracey United Kingdom 6 20-09-2005 08:53 PM
Cape Gooseberry/Physalis as a perennial sjstokes United Kingdom 3 06-09-2005 09:04 AM
Novice question: Cape Honeysuckle/Los Angeles area Ravi Gardening 1 10-07-2004 12:02 AM
re Cape Gooseberries irvin savage Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
re Cape Gooseberries irvin savage Australia 1 09-03-2003 12:56 PM