Old 17-09-2005, 09:29 AM
Tracey

Default Cape Sundew

Wondering if anyone can help - I have a cape sundew (drosera capensis) plant
growing on my kitchen windowsill. It is doing really well, but
unfortunately has become infested with tiny green crawlies, aphids I think.
I have searched the internet for a solution, and quite a few sites recommend
using a wettable powder insecticide, but I'm having trouble getting hold of
this. All the insecticides I keep coming across are the spray 'soapy' ones
which the plant won't tolerate apparently. I've tried wiping the bugs off
by hand, but it's an endless task. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 17-09-2005, 04:13 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Tracey" contains these words:

Wondering if anyone can help - I have a cape sundew (drosera capensis)
plant
growing on my kitchen windowsill. It is doing really well, but
unfortunately has become infested with tiny green crawlies, aphids I think.
I have searched the internet for a solution, and quite a few sites
recommend
using a wettable powder insecticide, but I'm having trouble getting hold of
this. All the insecticides I keep coming across are the spray 'soapy' ones
which the plant won't tolerate apparently. I've tried wiping the bugs off
by hand, but it's an endless task. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

With other pot plants, I've found that blasting aphids off with water
pressure works well (you'll probably need two or even three goes, to
catch stragglers).. Wrap the pot and as much of the surface of the
growing medium as possible, in a plastic bag; held in place with tape or
rubber bands.

If you have a mixer tap, adjust it to a strong flow ( temperature, just
above cold/below tepid) and try to wash all surfaces of all leaves,
washing away from the plant. Bath taps usually have better pressure than
sink taps. An outdoor hosepipe gives better water pressure still but
the water from it might be a bit cold.

Some eggs may remain stuck to leaves and hatch a few days later. As
soon as you spot survivors, repeat the procedure before the new
generation are big/old enough to breed. Remember to check the soil
surface for walking wounded, and remove them with a cottonbud or small
paintbrush.

Janet.
Old 19-09-2005, 11:04 AM
Tracey

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the advice, Janet - we don't have a mixer tap or a hosepipe, but
I could try turning the water pressure up and using the bath taps. Whilst
searching the internet for ways to get rid of the aphids I came across
somebody who had got rid of them by drowning! S/he put the plant under
water for a day and then repeated as necessary. I daren't do this though
just incase I damage it, although I know it's a bog plant so it may be ok.
Any thoughts? Thanks.

Tracey

Old 19-09-2005, 04:05 PM
Ford Prefect

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 11:04:49 +0100, "Tracey"
wrote:

[...]

Don't worry too much about damaging it they're tougher than they look,
if you've got the time and patience try a paintbrush and meths (I had
to do this on a large D.regia plant that I nearly lost to aphids this
year) it's a laborious job but it works (the P.gigantea loved them as
a snack).
To save you heart ache next year let the D.capensis flower and put
pots of sphagnum moss peat around it, you'll have loads of the little
buggers (they grow like weeds in most collections) from the seed
that's dispersed, then if you loose the odd plant it's not so bad.
Ford.
Old 20-09-2005, 01:20 PM
Edwin Spector

As someone else mentioned, you can indeed drown the pests. Submerge the whole
plant (compost, roots leaves) in rainwater for a day or two. Two much limey
tapwater will do them in.

Cheers

Edwin
Bath.
-----

Old 20-09-2005, 08:52 PM
Tracey

wrote:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I may give the meths method a try. It would be good to have more plants and
it's flowering at the moment so will place a few peat pots around it and see
what I get! Thanks!

Tracey

Old 20-09-2005, 08:53 PM
Tracey

Tracey wrote:
Wondering if anyone can help - I have a cape sundew (drosera capensis)
plant growing on my kitchen windowsill. It is doing really well, but
unfortunately has become infested with tiny green crawlies, aphids I
think. ...

Ah, never thought about tap water killing it, thanks for the warning!

Tracey