Old 11-03-2006, 05:12 PM
Registered User

Question Dying Conifers..?

Hi
Just wondered if anyone can help?

I don't know the name/type of conifer but it's a nice tightly growing mid to light green. growing as a hedge, as they've been regularly trimmed it almost looks mossy/furry when healthy.
But since last summer they have started to die off in parts. Brown and dry then going black.

I'm in the north east and we have had quite a dry long summer and a mild winter so far.

Pests? Disease ? Conditions ?

I also have some similar conifers that are as yet unaffected. there are two together and one is dying and one looks fine...

Anyway what to do.. they are quite badly browned, in a 'random' kind of way.
so can they be saved? sprayed, feed, or chop down and start again.
how hard can they be pruned??

any help or advise is welcome.

Cheers Jim
Old 12-03-2006, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NickS

Default Dying Conifers..?

"EarthWormJim" wrote in message

Hi
Just wondered if anyone can help?

I don't know the name/type of conifer but it's a nice tightly growing
mid to light green. growing as a hedge, as they've been regularly
trimmed it almost looks mossy/furry when healthy.
But since last summer they have started to die off in parts. Brown and
dry then going black.

I'm in the north east and we have had quite a dry long summer and a
mild winter so far.

Pests? Disease ? Conditions ?

I also have some similar conifers that are as yet unaffected. there are
two together and one is dying and one looks fine...

Anyway what to do.. they are quite badly browned, in a 'random' kind of
way.
so can they be saved? sprayed, feed, or chop down and start again.
how hard can they be pruned??

Jim, we have a similar condition with a leylandii hedge. The most likely
cause seems to be that I trimmed it too hard late in the season, as we had
several days of severe frost about 2-3 weeks later. Brushing out the
browned or dead areas and waiting for the growing season is all I can
suggest in the hope that some will grow back.

--
EarthWormJim