Old 22-05-2014, 07:16 PM
Registered User

Default Newly planted conifers dying?

I planted some young conifers about 2 ft high back in February and one has died completely and the otHers are still green but the tops have drooped
Any ideas what's wrong with them?
Old 22-05-2014, 10:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thursday, May 22, 2014 11:16:59 AM UTC-7, chriz1 wrote:
I planted some young conifers about 2 ft high back in February and one

has died completely and the otHers are still green but the tops have

drooped

Any ideas what's wrong with them?

It's not that unheard-of for one of a group to go bad. I'm dealing w/3 Australian tree ferns that all had the same care in planting, AFAIK, but one took off at once and two are thinking about it.

Where in the world are you? What's your optimum planting season? What practices did you follow in planting (soil amendment, water, required sun).

HB

Old 23-05-2014, 02:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

chriz1 wrote:

I planted some young conifers about 2 ft high back in February and one
has died completely and the otHers are still green but the tops have
drooped.
Any ideas what's wrong with them?

You're in the UK but which conifers? Most conifers, especially
spruce, don't like wet feet.
Old 29-05-2014, 01:18 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn1 View Post
chriz1 wrote:

I planted some young conifers about 2 ft high back in February and one
has died completely and the otHers are still green but the tops have
drooped.
Any ideas what's wrong with them?

You're in the UK but which conifers? Most conifers, especially
spruce, don't like wet feet.
Sounds like a drainage problem, or over fertilizing at planting.