Old 05-04-2003, 08:20 PM
eric

Default Cultural notes re Cyperus alternifolius

I have a number of Cyperus alternifolius in 5-inch pots, from last year. The
dead foliage has been left on during the winter because it looks quite
interesting but I don't know what to do with them now.

The stems are either completely brown (and obviously dead), or dead at the
top and green near the soil. My gardener's instinct tells me to cut them off
just above the soil but as the pots are full of stems I can't see where new
shoots will have room to grow. Perhaps I should break them up and re-pot?

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Eric

Old 05-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Annabel

"eric" wrote in message
I have a number of Cyperus alternifolius in 5-inch pots, from last

year. The
dead foliage has been left on during the winter because it looks quite
interesting but I don't know what to do with them now.

The stems are either completely brown (and obviously dead), or dead at

the
top and green near the soil. My gardener's instinct tells me to cut

them off
just above the soil but as the pots are full of stems I can't see

where new
shoots will have room to grow. Perhaps I should break them up and

re-pot?

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Eric

Hi

Cyperus alternifolius is a tender plant so I hope that you had it out of
the frost. I keep mine in an unheated conservatory during the winter (it
doesn't freeze) and they should never dry out. Mine kept like this do
not die back and reach 6ft in about 3 years.

It sounds like yours are in need of repoting or dividing just as you
say, but it may be good to wait to see if they put out new growth first.

Come back if you need more info

Bell