Old 12-04-2003, 02:08 AM
Andrew Thomson

Default 'Home Security' plants/bushes

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message news:b6rr59$2h7

Well, in addition to what YOU are doing, consider who you are trying
to stop or deter. Mildly spiny or twiggy plants like Cotoneaster,
Mahonia or Berberis darwinii will deter only casual invaders, and
holly isn't much better. If you want to keep out fairly determined
people or animals, you need pyracantha, Berberis vulgaris and so on.
All of the latter can take an eye out (obviously).

At the weekend we got 2 very spiky Berberis and a bramble. I take your
point about the pyracantha and will add that asap

Thanks again Nick

Ideas for burglar proof plants and trees.

http://www.crocus.co.uk/findplant2/finderpollution/

Helpful for getting names and then popping off to the local garden centre.

Old 12-04-2003, 08:44 AM
Ophelia

"Andrew Thomson" wrote in message

Ideas for burglar proof plants and trees.

http://www.crocus.co.uk/findplant2/finderpollution/

Helpful for getting names and then popping off to the local garden centre.

Thanks Andrew. Some of them I wouldn't have thought of. I already have a
holly and a Philadelphus olong that side)

Old 20-04-2003, 11:32 AM
Lee and Kath

On Mon, 07 Apr 2003 11:43:51 +0100, Sacha wrote:

in article , Keith D at
. tesco.net wrote on 6/4/03
9:27 am:

Hi all,
I can remember a few years ago a crime prevention officer mentioning
so called deterrent bushes that you can place around your garden or points
of possible entry - not doors :-) Can any of you recommend some thorny
plants/bushes fit for this purpose - is there any limit to the height that
they will grow or do they reach a natural peak ? Apologies for sounding a
bit daft but, as you can see, I do not know a lot about this subject.

Rosa rugosa, Berberis, Aralia Grevillea are 4 that spring instantly to mind.
A good thick, spiny holly hedge isn't exactly inviting! A Google search
might throw up more answers from previous, similar discussions.
And gravel around the house or garden perimeter is an excellent deterrent,
too. So is a small dog that barks at the slightest movement and wakes up a
bigger one that sounds more threatening!

Certainly Berberis which you can leave to its own devices - prune at your peril! (they bite and can
leave the ends of the thorns in the skin) and Pyracantha -which will need some training.

Kath