Old 06-04-2003, 10:17 AM
Keith D

Default 'Home Security' plants/bushes

Hi all,
I can remember a few years ago a crime prevention officer mentioning
so called deterrent bushes that you can place around your garden or points
of possible entry - not doors :-) Can any of you recommend some thorny
plants/bushes fit for this purpose - is there any limit to the height that
they will grow or do they reach a natural peak ? Apologies for sounding a
bit daft but, as you can see, I do not know a lot about this subject.

Cheers,
Keith

--
Please remove both of your frontal lobe(s) to reply

Old 06-04-2003, 10:32 AM
bnd777

holly and pyracantha sring to mind
Both can be pruned back to suit you

"Keith D" . tesco.net wrote
in message ...

Old 06-04-2003, 10:32 AM
Keith D

In ,
an infinite number of bnd777s, in an attempt to produce the entire works of
Shakespeare, typed:
holly and pyracantha sring to mind
Both can be pruned back to suit you

"Keith D"
. tesco.net wrote in
message ...
Hi all,
I can remember a few years ago a crime prevention officer
mentioning so called deterrent bushes that you can place around your
garden or points of possible entry - not doors :-) Can any of you
recommend some thorny plants/bushes fit for this purpose - is there
any limit to the height that they will grow or do they reach a
natural peak ? Apologies for sounding a bit daft but, as you can
see, I do not know a lot about this subject.

Cheers,
Keith

--
Please remove both of your frontal lobe(s) to reply

Thanks for the info.

Keith

--
Please remove both of your frontal lobe(s) to reply

Old 06-04-2003, 10:45 AM

"Keith D" . tesco.net wrote
in message ...
: Hi all,
: I can remember a few years ago a crime prevention officer
mentioning
: so called deterrent bushes that you can place around your garden or points
: of possible entry - not doors :-) Can any of you recommend some thorny
: plants/bushes fit for this purpose - is there any limit to the height that
: they will grow or do they reach a natural peak ? Apologies for sounding a
: bit daft but, as you can see, I do not know a lot about this subject.
:
: Cheers,
: Keith
:
: --
: Please remove both of your frontal lobe(s) to reply

Pyracantha. Some of the Berberis. Rosa Rugosa

Old 06-04-2003, 10:58 AM
Richard

"Keith D" . tesco.net wrote
in message ...
Hi all,
I can remember a few years ago a crime prevention officer

mentioning
so called deterrent bushes that you can place around your garden or points
of possible entry - not doors :-) Can any of you recommend some thorny
plants/bushes fit for this purpose - is there any limit to the height that
they will grow or do they reach a natural peak ? Apologies for sounding a
bit daft but, as you can see, I do not know a lot about this subject.

Cheers,
Keith

--
Please remove both of your frontal lobe(s) to reply

Blackthorn. You could harvest the sloes and make sloe gin!

Richard

Old 06-04-2003, 05:56 PM
Andrew Thomson

"Keith D" . tesco.net wrote
in message ...
Hi all,
I can remember a few years ago a crime prevention officer

mentioning
so called deterrent bushes that you can place around your garden or points
of possible entry - not doors :-) Can any of you recommend some thorny
plants/bushes fit for this purpose - is there any limit to the height that
they will grow or do they reach a natural peak ? Apologies for sounding a
bit daft but, as you can see, I do not know a lot about this subject.

Cheers,
Keith

--
Please remove both of your frontal lobe(s) to reply

Mahonia X Media 'Lionel Fortescue' - looks good and has spiky, holly-like
leaves.

Old 06-04-2003, 08:08 PM
Pete The Gardener

On Sun, 06 Apr 2003 08:27:12 GMT, "Keith D"
. tesco.net wrote:

Hi all,
I can remember a few years ago a crime prevention officer mentioning
so called deterrent bushes that you can place around your garden or points
of possible entry - not doors :-)

As well as the plants mentioned by the others it's probably worth
getting in touch with your local police, most forces have leaflets
with lists of suitable plants for your area, and some list sources as
well.

--
Pete The Gardener
A room without books is like a body without a soul.

Old 06-04-2003, 09:09 PM
Keith D

In ,
an infinite number of Pete The Gardeners, in an attempt to produce the
. tesco.net wrote:

Hi all,
I can remember a few years ago a crime prevention officer
mentioning so called deterrent bushes that you can place around your
garden or points of possible entry - not doors :-)

As well as the plants mentioned by the others it's probably worth
getting in touch with your local police, most forces have leaflets
with lists of suitable plants for your area, and some list sources as
well.

Thanks to everyone for their help.
Cheers,
Keith
--
Please remove both of your frontal lobe(s) to reply

Old 06-04-2003, 09:20 PM
AWM

"Keith D" . tesco.net wrote
in message ...
In ,

Cotoniaster horizontalis works a treat without being a danger to young kids

Old 07-04-2003, 10:32 AM
Ophelia

nightjar wrote in message
.. .

"Ophelia" wrote in message
Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions. Oh yes I also bought none

drying
paint for the top of the fence.

In that case, I hope your fence is at least 2.4m high. You should not use
anti-climb paint where any casual passer-by, which could include your
neighbour, can come into accidental contact with it. Generally, that is
taken to be at least 2.4m above ground level.

It is indeed. Errrrr we did read the instuctions The only way she can
get to see on is to climb up - and she does. All the fences at the bottom
of our gardens are horizontal. Mad I know but they are a continuous run.
The way the fence is contructed is by two layers of fencing, one offset so
the only way you can look in is to look down if you can make sense of that

Old 07-04-2003, 12:08 PM
Richard

"Ophelia" wrote in message

nightjar wrote in message
.. .

"Ophelia" wrote in message
Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions. Oh yes I also bought none

drying
paint for the top of the fence.

In that case, I hope your fence is at least 2.4m high. You should not

use
anti-climb paint where any casual passer-by, which could include your
neighbour, can come into accidental contact with it. Generally, that is
taken to be at least 2.4m above ground level.

It is indeed. Errrrr we did read the instuctions The only way she can
get to see on is to climb up - and she does. All the fences at the

bottom
of our gardens are horizontal. Mad I know but they are a continuous run.
The way the fence is contructed is by two layers of fencing, one offset so
the only way you can look in is to look down if you can make sense of

that

O, what are you doing behind your fence that attracts so much interest?
:-))
Richard

Old 07-04-2003, 12:32 PM
Ophelia

"Richard" wrote in message

"Ophelia" wrote in message

nightjar wrote in message
.. .

"Ophelia" wrote in message
[...]

Ummm errrr ought I to tell you????

Putting our compost on the space reserved for fruit trees. The neighbout
took exception to the smell and then battle commenced

you will need to read back to the whole thread)

Old 07-04-2003, 01:44 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Ophelia" writes:

| O, what are you doing behind your fence that attracts so much interest?
| :-))
|
| Ummm errrr ought I to tell you????

Well, in addition to what YOU are doing, consider who you are trying
to stop or deter. Mildly spiny or twiggy plants like Cotoneaster,
Mahonia or Berberis darwinii will deter only casual invaders, and
holly isn't much better. If you want to keep out fairly determined
people or animals, you need pyracantha, Berberis vulgaris and so on.
All of the latter can take an eye out (obviously).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:44 PM
Ophelia

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message news:b6rr59$2h7

Well, in addition to what YOU are doing, consider who you are trying
to stop or deter. Mildly spiny or twiggy plants like Cotoneaster,
Mahonia or Berberis darwinii will deter only casual invaders, and
holly isn't much better. If you want to keep out fairly determined
people or animals, you need pyracantha, Berberis vulgaris and so on.
All of the latter can take an eye out (obviously).

At the weekend we got 2 very spiky Berberis and a bramble. I take your
point about the pyracantha and will add that asap

Thanks again Nick