Old 07-04-2003, 09:44 AM
Darren Perrett

Default Which hedging ?

Hi all,
I`m new here so forgive me if this is a faq.

I currently have 16 leylandi (sp?) at the bottom of my garden at around 30`
high. They have never been trimmed so now the branches are around 10` long
with just a hint of green at the ends.
I am thinking about replacing them with a new hedge but will require
someting that will grow to around 12` to block the commercial units I will
be able to see. I don`t mind if it will be slow growing as long as it covers
eventually.
Any Ideas ?

Darren.

Old 07-04-2003, 06:20 PM
bnd777

Pyracantha
Escallonia
Eleagnus and variegated one
Laurel

Old 07-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003 08:26:23 +0000 (UTC), "Darren Perrett"
(nospam) wrote:

I currently have 16 leylandi...

I am thinking about replacing them with a new hedge but will require
someting that will grow to around 12` to block the commercial units I will
be able to see. I don`t mind if it will be slow growing as long as it covers
eventually.
Any Ideas ?

Thuja occidentalis 'Smaragd', also sold as 'Emerald Green' and
'Emerald'. I can't vouch for its performance in your climate, but
around here it makes an excellent narrow hedge, topping out at
about the 12' mark. Not excessively slow, but neither is it super
fast.

Mature plants are about 3' in diameter, so put these 2-3 feet
away from your property line.

There's another fastigiate thuja 'Pyramidalis' which is very
similar but tops out at about 18'. 'Pyramidalis' has the drawback
that it fruits to some extent, so its appearance is slightly
marred. 'Smaragd' is free of this defect, and is also a brighter
green.

'Pyramidalis' might be a better choice because it will reach the
12' mark sooner and can be kept at that height reasonably easily.
'Pyramidalis' makes a little thicker hedge, 4-5' thick, and if
left to its own devices, seems to last about 35 years before it
goes sensescent and needs replacement.

One curious thing: I cannot find 'Pyramidalis' listed in the
Plant Finder, yet it is *very* common here.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada