Old 15-03-2006, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bull durham

Default watercress

Please , how best to establish watercress in a clean non-polluted stream .
This is a shallow stream over gravel or small rock and I would like to
establish watercress right at the source . Will probably be slightly acid as
it comes off a peat moor - is this a disadvantage . Can I get seed , or will
it need a bunch of rooted stuff , and if so , from where ? Any advice
gratefully received

Old 15-03-2006, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Baraclough writes
The message
from "bull durham" contains these words:

Please , how best to establish watercress in a clean non-polluted stream .
This is a shallow stream over gravel or small rock and I would like to
establish watercress right at the source . Will probably be slightly
acid as
it comes off a peat moor - is this a disadvantage . Can I get seed ,
or will
it need a bunch of rooted stuff , and if so , from where ?

Er, your nearest supermarket? Stand a bunch in water and it will root
in days.
I haven't seen it growing in peaty water, only in chalk streams. But
cress is so cheap why not try? I should think you could treat it
exactly like a pond plant, plant it in a pond-plant container and
submerge it gradually. You may need to use stones to anchore the pot.

Agree supermarket.
In a pond I've always just chucked it in. It's one of the ways to reduce
algae by reducing the nutrient level - chuck in a handful of watercress
at the beginning of summer, and harvest by the armful though the rest of
the season.
In a stream it might be advisable to weight it down to stop it drifting
away. Tie a bit of string around the bunch and tie a large stone to the
other end.

It doesn't need to have chalky soil - it grows around here with no
problem, and we're neutral to acid.
--
Kay
Old 16-03-2006, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy

In article , K
writes
Agree supermarket.
In a pond I've always just chucked it in. It's one of the ways to
reduce algae by reducing the nutrient level - chuck in a handful of
watercress at the beginning of summer, and harvest by the armful though
the rest of the season.

How do you ensure the stream is not polluted Kay? Do you know the source
of these streams? I have visions of people chucking in watercress
wherever they have running water and that may not be advisable
Janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association
Old 16-03-2006, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Tweedy writes
In article , K
writes
Agree supermarket.
In a pond I've always just chucked it in. It's one of the ways to
reduce algae by reducing the nutrient level - chuck in a handful of
watercress at the beginning of summer, and harvest by the armful
though the rest of the season.

How do you ensure the stream is not polluted Kay?

I wasn't talking about streams. I was talking about ponds - you don't
usually get an algae problem in a free running stream

I don't grow it for eating.

The main problem with it is that it is an intermediate host (I think it
is where the snail eggs are laid) for liverfluke. The snails which are
one of the hosts live in still water rather than running water, so you'd
have to be ridiculously foolhardy to eat watercress from your garden
pond.

Do you know the source of these streams? I have visions of people
chucking in watercress wherever they have running water and that may
not be advisable

Well, it is a British wild flower. They may get it anyway without
encouragement.
--
Kay
Old 16-03-2006, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"K" wrote
Janet Tweedy writes

Do you know the source of these streams? I have visions of people
chucking in watercress wherever they have running water and that may
not be advisable

Well, it is a British wild flower. They may get it anyway without
encouragement.

I'm sure I've read of water cress being grown in a garden soil bed -
presumably kept well watered. Or is that a different sort of cress?

--
Sue

Old 16-03-2006, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC

"Sue" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"K" wrote
Janet Tweedy writes

Do you know the source of these streams? I have visions of people
chucking in watercress wherever they have running water and that may
not be advisable

Well, it is a British wild flower. They may get it anyway without
encouragement.

I'm sure I've read of water cress being grown in a garden soil bed -
presumably kept well watered. Or is that a different sort of cress?

I have grown 'American land cress' from Suttons seeds - I think you can
still get it. Very peppery, goes well in sandwiches, ready a couple of
months after sowing (from early spring onwards). As easy to grow as a weed.

Old 16-03-2006, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sue writes

"K" wrote
Janet Tweedy writes

Do you know the source of these streams? I have visions of people
chucking in watercress wherever they have running water and that may
not be advisable

Well, it is a British wild flower. They may get it anyway without
encouragement.

I'm sure I've read of water cress being grown in a garden soil bed -
presumably kept well watered. Or is that a different sort of cress?

I think someone on urg mentioned that within the last few months. Rusty
perhaps? Or Nick M?

But there is also 'american land cress' which tastes very like
watercress and grows in ordinary soil - I've no idea whether it's a
different species or simply a variety.
--
Kay
Old 16-03-2006, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
James Fidell

BAC wrote:

I have grown 'American land cress' from Suttons seeds - I think you can
still get it. Very peppery, goes well in sandwiches, ready a couple of
months after sowing (from early spring onwards). As easy to grow as a weed.

I've grown that before and definitely concur. I should get some more.

We have watercress that grows in the yard where a couple of springs wash
through it. I've never been sure about eating it though, as it's not
all that far away from the septic tank soakaway and there can't be many
other sources of water during the summer.

James
Old 16-03-2006, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

K wrote:
Sue writes

"K" wrote
Janet Tweedy writes

Do you know the source of these streams? I have visions of people
chucking in watercress wherever they have running water and that
may not be advisable

Well, it is a British wild flower. They may get it anyway without
encouragement.

I'm sure I've read of water cress being grown in a garden soil bed -
presumably kept well watered. Or is that a different sort of cress?

I think someone on urg mentioned that within the last few months.
Rusty perhaps? Or Nick M?

But there is also 'american land cress' which tastes very like
watercress and grows in ordinary soil - I've no idea whether it's a
different species or simply a variety.

Barbarea verna, Joy Larkcom's book says. Watercress, of course, is the
real Nasturtium, and it will grow ashore, but has to be kept moist. But
then, so does American land cress, or it'll blow -- it's an annual,
unlike watercress. I found land cress very easy to grow, but it didn't
last long as I didn't keep watering it: it then duly self-seeded.

--
Mike.

Old 16-03-2006, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bull durham

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message , K
writes
[...]

Thanks folks Asda here I come !

Old 17-03-2006, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , K
writes
June Hughes writes

I hadn't thought of putting watercress in our pond. I shall give it
a go. Presumably it will work in a koi pond with a water filter and
ultra-violet lamp?

Dunno. What will the koi do to it?

Well, they will probably eat it but I am willing to take the chance.
The water is purified but is not fresh and just circulates round the
pond and through the filter. I thought watercress grew in natural
streams. Next time I visit my sister in Hampshire, I shall take a visit
to the place where they grow it.
--
June Hughes
Old 17-03-2006, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC

[...]

I've grown watercress in my pond to try to reduce the nutrient level, but I
wouldn't eat it from that source - it goes straight into the compost.

Old 17-03-2006, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , BAC
writes

"June Hughes" wrote in message
I hadn't thought of putting watercress in our pond. I shall give it a
go. Presumably it will work in a koi pond with a water filter and
ultra-violet lamp?

I've grown watercress in my pond to try to reduce the nutrient level, but I
wouldn't eat it from that source - it goes straight into the compost.

Why not if the water is purified?
--
June Hughes
Old 17-03-2006, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message , BAC
writes

"June Hughes" wrote in message
I hadn't thought of putting watercress in our pond. I shall give it a
go. Presumably it will work in a koi pond with a water filter and
ultra-violet lamp?

I've grown watercress in my pond to try to reduce the nutrient level, but

wouldn't eat it from that source - it goes straight into the compost.

Why not if the water is purified?

I know it's probably illogical, just can't bring myself to do it. Funny,
given I think nothing of eating plants grown in soil liberally treated with
manure :-)

Old 17-03-2006, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , BAC
writes

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message , BAC
writes

"June Hughes" wrote in message
I hadn't thought of putting watercress in our pond. I shall give it a
go. Presumably it will work in a koi pond with a water filter and
ultra-violet lamp?

I've grown watercress in my pond to try to reduce the nutrient level, but

wouldn't eat it from that source - it goes straight into the compost.

Why not if the water is purified?

I know it's probably illogical, just can't bring myself to do it. Funny,
given I think nothing of eating plants grown in soil liberally treated with
manure :-)

You have made me feel squeamish about it now. Eating stuff grown in the
pond where my fish have pooed. Um...............
--
June Hughes

Watercress Wally World Clanger United Kingdom 0 20-10-2003 06:02 PM
Watercress Wally World Clanger United Kingdom 1 20-10-2003 11:02 AM
watercress K30a Ponds 2 25-07-2003 11:32 PM
bidet /Watercress David Hill United Kingdom 0 12-06-2003 07:20 AM
Watercress root rotting, freshwater fish tank. DogCow Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:17 AM