Old 16-03-2006, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gardening_Convert

Default pricking out herb seeds and potting on

When I grow herb seeds Parsley , Basil, Sorrel, Borage etc do these
expect to be potted on into gritty compost i.e. multi purpose mixed
with sharp sand ?

Old 16-03-2006, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gardening_Convert

fantastic many thanks

Would I be able to use normal multipurpose in an attempt to keep my
costs down (and stop the wife from complaining !!)

Old 17-03-2006, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 17/3/06 0:54, in article , "Janet
Galpin" wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

On 16/3/06 16:29, in article
, "Gardening_Convert"
wrote:

fantastic many thanks

Would I be able to use normal multipurpose in an attempt to keep my
costs down (and stop the wife from complaining !!)

I asked Ray about this and he's not in favour of it. ;-( He said that if
you MUST, then mix it with JI3 and make the proportion of JI3 higher. His
experience of using multipurpose is that it makes things get rather 'leggy'
and that it dries out very quickly. It's definitely not his favourite
medium, put it that way!
--

I use multipurpose (often mixed with some vermiculite and a bit of
sand/grit) for herbs. I agree that it it can dry out or at least that

He's outside atm but I think Ray was thinking more of thymes, marjoram etc.
and of course, things other than herbs. We sell the multi-purpose compost
because some people do prefer to buy the less expensive stuff but he's
definitely not a fan of it. I have a large bowl with herbs in, near the
back door and the flat-leafed parsley has come right through the winter,
still with some growth and quite a good bit of it. I'm very surprised!
Parsley and I don't usually get on at all! I think with Basil the problem
is light levels but that's just my guess. I do know (from herb experts)
that it likes bottom heat to get it started but I'm guessing that it gets
leggy in UK because not enough sun and light hit it when it's starting off.
I've bought some bush basil seeds and am going to see how that does this
year. The lack of sun cannot be helpful to herbs, I would think.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 17-03-2006, 11:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy

In article , Janet Galpin
writes

I use multipurpose (often mixed with some vermiculite and a bit of
sand/grit) for herbs. I agree that it it can dry out or at least that
it's trickier to resoak after it has dried out. But like the OP I have
it around so it's easier and cheaper.
The legginess is interesting. Basil certainly can tend to get leggy but
I thought that was the nature of the beast. Parsley on the other hand
doesn't in my experience get leggy even when grown in the shade which it
seems to quite like.
Janet G

I find multipurpose okay for germination and first set of leaves then
pot on into better stuff. I find the multipurpose is looser than the JI
so you can get the seedlings out easier.
Mind you my basil gets leggy so perhaps I might try a change.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph