Old 17-03-2006, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JB

Default Can I plant potatoes yet?

Or more specifically ...

I was under the impression that potatoes, at least earlies, could be
planted as of St Patrick's day. Given that it's still cold and frosty
is it safe to plant these yet or will they suffer if we get another
week of weather like this?

Old 17-03-2006, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"JB" wrote
Or more specifically ...

I was under the impression that potatoes, at least earlies, could be
planted as of St Patrick's day. Given that it's still cold and frosty
is it safe to plant these yet or will they suffer if we get another
week of weather like this?

We intend to plant our "earlies" any day soon and have planted them at about
this time every year.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 17-03-2006, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert

"JB" wrote in message
: Or more specifically ...
:
: I was under the impression that potatoes, at least earlies, could be
: planted as of St Patrick's day. Given that it's still cold and frosty
: is it safe to plant these yet or will they suffer if we get another
: week of weather like this?

Yes mine were planted a couple of weeks ago and some on our field, even
earlier. You need to bear in mind that you may need extra cover against late
frosts in May when you may have earthed up as far as possible

Old 17-03-2006, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gardening_Convert

Bob Hobden wrote:
"JB" wrote
Or more specifically ...

I was under the impression that potatoes, at least earlies, could be
planted as of St Patrick's day. Given that it's still cold and frosty
is it safe to plant these yet or will they suffer if we get another
week of weather like this?

We intend to plant our "earlies" any day soon and have planted them at about
this time every year.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
17mls W. of London.UK

I'm planning to plant my earlies in a plastic bin can I do that about
now and what sort of earth should I use , is a mixture of manure and
multipurpose compost ok ?

Old 17-03-2006, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Gardening_Convert" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
"JB" wrote
Or more specifically ...

I was under the impression that potatoes, at least earlies, could be
planted as of St Patrick's day. Given that it's still cold and frosty
is it safe to plant these yet or will they suffer if we get another
week of weather like this?

We intend to plant our "earlies" any day soon and have planted them at
about
this time every year.

I'm planning to plant my earlies in a plastic bin can I do that about
now and what sort of earth should I use , is a mixture of manure and
multipurpose compost ok ?

OK provided the whole pot doesn't freeze, you know your local weather. Spuds
like a bit of richness in the soil which is why they get the manure each
year in the rotation scheme, but don't overdo it.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden