Old 19-03-2006, 01:12 PM
Registered User

Default New Website

Hi all, my name is Steve and I have recently created a website based on my two allotments in the West Midlands, I would appreciate your views and comments on it, look forward to many discussions with you all, thanks Steve.

http://www.myallotments.blogspot.com
Old 19-03-2006, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

Steve wrote on the newsgroup URG via Gardenbanter

Hi all, my name is Steve and I have recently created a website based on
my two allotments in the West Midlands, I would appreciate your views
and comments on it, look forward to many discussions with you all,
thanks Steve.

http://www.myallotments.blogspot.com

Very nice Steve, but what's all this about planting Garlic on the shortest
day? It should be planted in September or early October.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 19-03-2006, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally Thompson

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 13:12:13 +0000, PLOTTY wrote
(in article ):

Hi all, my name is Steve and I have recently created a website based onmy two

allotments in the West Midlands, I would appreciate your viewsand comments on

it, look forward to many discussions with you all,thanks Steve.

http://www.myallotments.blogspot.com-- PLOTTY

Nice website Steve - and interesting to see progress every week.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

Old 20-03-2006, 05:59 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden
Steve wrote on the newsgroup URG via Gardenbanter

Hi all, my name is Steve and I have recently created a website based on
my two allotments in the West Midlands, I would appreciate your views
and comments on it, look forward to many discussions with you all,
thanks Steve.

http://www.myallotments.blogspot.com

Very nice Steve, but what's all this about planting Garlic on the shortest
day? It should be planted in September or early October.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
17mls W. of London.UK
Thankyou Bob for the advice about when to plant Garlic, is this to allow it to put on enough growth to withstand the winter better?
Old 20-03-2006, 06:03 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally Thompson
On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 13:12:13 +0000, PLOTTY wrote
(in article ):

Hi all, my name is Steve and I have recently created a website based onmy two

allotments in the West Midlands, I would appreciate your viewsand comments on

it, look forward to many discussions with you all,thanks Steve.

http://www.myallotments.blogspot.com-- PLOTTY

Nice website Steve - and interesting to see progress every week.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk
Thankyou Sally for your comments about my website, your not too far away from my part of the world, Stourbridge. Thanks Steve.

Old 20-03-2006, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

Steve wrote after Bob Hobden replied:
Steve wrote on the newsgroup URG via Gardenbanter

Hi all, my name is Steve and I have recently created a website based
on
my two allotments in the West Midlands, I would appreciate your views
and comments on it, look forward to many discussions with you all,
thanks Steve.

http://www.myallotments.blogspot.com

Very nice Steve, but what's all this about planting Garlic on the
shortest
day? It should be planted in September or early October.

Thankyou Bob for the advice about when to plant Garlic, is this to
allow it to put on enough growth to withstand the winter better?

It's about the hardiest plant you can grow but the old gardeners thought it
"foreign" and therefore tender so it was planted in the spring...wrong if
you want big heads like in the shops. Where the shortest day comes from
goodness knows.
If you plant in the autumn it will get it's roots down and be into growth
before the worst of the weather, then in any warmer spell during the winter
it will grow some more and be quite large by the time spring comes when it
will romp away giving you much better heads. It's had a longer growing
season.
I've tried using shop bought heads to plant (cheaper) and heads from seed
merchants like Marshall's and now always use the latter, we get a much
better crop.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 21-03-2006, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Bob Hobden wrote:
Steve wrote after Bob Hobden replied:

[...we seem to have the attributions mixed up here...]
[...]

I used to believe the shortest-day superstition, too. Joy Larkcom's Veg.
for Small Gardens says to put it in as early as possible from early
autumn. Some varieties, she says, need four to six weeks' frosting to
break dormancy. BUT if the soil is badly drained or very heavy, she says
to plant out in early spring -- preferably after growing in modfules in
a cold frame over winter.

I'd always use sets from a seedsman, not supermarket bulbs: the ones you
buy for cooking won't be varieties adapted to British growing
conditions, which is why they'll generally give a poor yield.

--
Mike.