Old 30-03-2006, 07:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Klara

Default prunus subhirtella autumnalis

We have a small (4-year-old) autumn-flowering cherry that is only just
looking as if it might in time come into blossom. Throughout the autumn
and winter it had only perhaps a dozen blossoms on it, spread out over
the months since November. Could this be something I am doing, or just
another face of global warming? Is it the feeding? Mainly, I have no
idea when winter-flowering trees should be fed: in winter, when they are
supposed to blossom? Or in summer, when they are growing?

Thanks!
--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 30-03-2006, 07:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Trevor

Mines just starting to flower now, hardy a blossom Nov-Feb. Also 4 years
old. In fact now much blossom at all in previous years, but then I think the
sparrows eat it!

Old 30-03-2006, 08:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Our 8 - 10 year old was in flower in the Autumn and I can only assume it has
been the same all the time. We only came home yesterday from 3 months away
and it is full of flowers.

Mike

Old 30-03-2006, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

It normally flowers during the warmer spells in the winter, so
obviuosly with the weather this year is hasn't had any on these warmer
spells that are long enough to initiate flowering. Now it is a bit
warmer it is doing what it would have done during the winter in normal
years.

Old 30-03-2006, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Trevor

Mine hasn't flowered in winter in the mildest winters recently.

Old 30-03-2006, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Klara

In message , Trevor
writes
Mine hasn't flowered in winter in the mildest winters recently.

Well, after all of these it looks as if autumnalis is a bit of a
misnomer, except in mild winters in a mild spot!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 30-03-2006, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Klara writes
In message ,
Trevor writes
Mine hasn't flowered in winter in the mildest winters recently.

Well, after all of these it looks as if autumnalis is a bit of a
misnomer, except in mild winters in a mild spot!

Both of mine have flowered throughout the whole winter without fail for
the last 10 years. Still in flower now. (W Yorks, 400ft)
--
Kay
Old 31-03-2006, 09:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Klara

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes
Mine also flowered on and off all through every winter however cold
(in various parts of Scotland, all colder than Gatwick) .Whatever is
ailing Klara's, it's not an excess of cold. Maybe climate warming could
be confusing it :-)

It's certainly confusing me - I didn't know global warming would be so
chilly! But maybe I'm doing something wrong with the tree: do you feed
yours, and with what and when? Or mulch it?

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 31-03-2006, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Klara

In message , K
writes
Both of mine have flowered throughout the whole winter without fail for
the last 10 years. Still in flower now. (W Yorks, 400ft)

Mine is just a baby ... but it did flower in the winter in its first
year.
I suppose yours are now too big to need special feeding?

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

Old 31-03-2006, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Klara writes
In message , K
writes
Both of mine have flowered throughout the whole winter without fail
for the last 10 years. Still in flower now. (W Yorks, 400ft)

Mine is just a baby ... but it did flower in the winter in its first
year.
I suppose yours are now too big to need special feeding?

I've never given them special feeding. I don't feed anything in the
garden apart from mulching with compost whichever bed has reached the
top of the priority list. I don't think the cherry bed has had a mulch
in the last 5 years.
--
Kay
Old 01-04-2006, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Klara

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes
No feed at all. I've grown them in beds and in grass; they really
are very tough and don't need cossetting.

Thanks, Janet
It's suddenly looking much happier - maybe the sun?

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 01-04-2006, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Klara

In message , K
writes
I've never given them special feeding. I don't feed anything in the
garden apart from mulching with compost whichever bed has reached the
top of the priority list. I don't think the cherry bed has had a mulch
in the last 5 years.

It has perked up now! It's going to blossom along with the other
cherries, I guess....
--
Klara, Gatwick basin