Old 01-04-2006, 01:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

Default Changing soil ph

I understand fairly well the process of sweetening acidic soils using
agricultural lime or dolomite, or sometimes more inadvertently with too much
wood ash and mushroom compost.

To acidify alkaline soils I understand aluminium sulphate (which I have
never come across but imagine it is easily available if I search for it)
works and to a lesser extent peat moss and chciken poo will do this over a
period of time.

Is anyone able to confirm the latter case?

Old 01-04-2006, 02:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

:
: To acidify alkaline soils I understand aluminium sulphate (which I have
: never come across but imagine it is easily available if I search for it)
: works and to a lesser extent peat moss and chciken poo will do this over

: period of time.
:
: Is anyone able to confirm the latter case?
:
What about adding sulphur chippings

from where? in what form? I have not come across that before.

rob

Old 01-04-2006, 05:20 PM
Registered User

Location: Huddersfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by George.com

To acidify alkaline soils I understand aluminium sulphate (which I have
never come across but imagine it is easily available if I search for it)
works and to a lesser extent peat moss and chciken poo will do this over a
period of time.

Is anyone able to confirm the latter case?
I looked up a book I have and found this;

Blue flowers on hydrangeas are obtained by growing pink varieties in a rather acid compost (pH 4 - 6) treated with alum.

Good results have been obtained with the following mixture
3 parts by bulk of acid loam. 1 part by bulk of oak leaf-mould.

To each 1 cwt. add 2½lb. of aluminium sulphate.

Pot plants in this mixture as soon as they come from the propagating frame.

Outdoor plants can be 'blued' by top dressing the soil in February with aluminium sulphate at approximately ¼lb. per stem, but it is practically impossible to get any result on highly alkaline soils.

Markedly acid soils produce blue flowers without treatment.

You mention peat & chicken droppings, peat I can understand, but I always assumed chicken dropping were highly alkaline, as is mushroom compost.

This is a preview from a section of my ammended website;

To make your soil more alkaline by 1 pH

apply 270grammes of Ground limestone per square metre (8oz per sq yd) to sandy soils

apply 550grammes of Ground limestone per square metre (16oz per sq yd) to loamy soils

apply 800grammes of Ground limestone per square metre (24oz per sq yd) to clay soils

Over-liming is difficult to correct, add less than the recommended amounts at first and readjust the following season after further tests.

To make your soil more acid by 1 pH apply 70grammes of Ammonium Sulphate per square metre (2 1/2oz per sq yd)

I hope this helps!
Old 01-04-2006, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert

"George.com" wrote in message
:
: "Robert" wrote in message
: ...
: What about adding sulphur chippings
:
: from where? in what form? I have not come across that before.
:
: rob
:
:http://www.gardendirect.co.uk/produc...For=&PT_ID=352

Changing soil pH - rhodos. Rob G United Kingdom 3 17-06-2012 12:53 AM
Changing soil pH - rhodos. Rob G United Kingdom 0 16-06-2012 02:24 PM
leaves changing colour Raels Australia 2 02-02-2004 11:02 AM
Changing Careers` DeAnna Douglass Plant Biology 0 17-03-2003 02:44 AM
Changing gravel "on the fly" John Worfin Freshwater Aquaria Plants 26 24-02-2003 02:37 PM