Old 02-04-2006, 03:09 PM
Registered User

Default Roots everywhere!

Just moved house and inherited a well established garden with many shrubs and trees. I keep coming accross lots of roots whilst digging holes for planting. The roots do seem to be everywhere and especially by fences and walls on which I would like to plants climbers etc. How do I get around these as I have not managed to plant a lot up to now!
Old 03-04-2006, 07:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian Watson

"chestergardener" wrote in
message ...

Just moved house and inherited a well established garden with many
shrubs and trees. I keep coming accross lots of roots whilst digging
holes for planting. The roots do seem to be everywhere and especially
by fences and walls on which I would like to plants climbers etc. How
do I get around these as I have not managed to plant a lot up to now!

Unless you want to risk the roots re-shooting, and chances are they are at
least plants in the wrong place if not what are generally called weeds, I'm
afraid you HAVE to dig 'em all out.

Plan B: is douse the area in some sort of weedkiller that suits your
longer-term plans.

I strongly suggest you adopt the first option.

--
Brian

Old 03-04-2006, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

chestergardener wrote:
Just moved house and inherited a well established garden with many
shrubs and trees. I keep coming accross lots of roots whilst digging
holes for planting. The roots do seem to be everywhere and especially
by fences and walls on which I would like to plants climbers etc. How
do I get around these as I have not managed to plant a lot up to now!

The generally received wisdom with a new garden is to do nothing. It
sounds as if yours is a carefully planned garden, so it's worth waiting
the usual year to see what comes up. Those roots may be the result of
years of sustained growth of the shrubs etc.! I wouldn't do anything
but weed or plant things in tubs and pots. Then through the year, make
notes and take photos so that come the autumn and next spring you can
start to fill in any gaps or remove things you don't like to make room
for things you do.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

roots everywhere Dan-o Gardening 6 05-05-2005 11:14 PM
Roots coming out of stems everywhere??? Ron Nelson Freshwater Aquaria Plants 9 20-04-2003 06:25 AM
Plants that will not put out Roots everywhere Aqua Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:22 AM
Roots coming out of stems everywhere??? Ron Nelson Freshwater Aquaria Plants 10 15-03-2003 06:59 AM
Plants that will not put out Roots everywhere Aqua Freshwater Aquaria Plants 6 18-02-2003 12:38 AM