Old 04-04-2006, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

Default What have I done wrong?

All the potatoes I put into store last year, have been sprouting for some
time now, whilst it doesn't seem to stop me eating them, it's a nuisance to
find when I go to bring them into the house that I'm having to pull off
sprouts 3 or 4 inches long.

They are stored in boxes, covered with sacking, so no light can get in.

So, is this common, or am I doing something wrong?

The potatoes in the supermarkets don't seem to have this problem.

Alan

Old 04-04-2006, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

All the potatoes I put into store last year, have been sprouting for some
time now, whilst it doesn't seem to stop me eating them, it's a nuisance

find when I go to bring them into the house that I'm having to pull off
sprouts 3 or 4 inches long.

They are stored in boxes, covered with sacking, so no light can get in.

So, is this common, or am I doing something wrong?

The potatoes in the supermarkets don't seem to have this problem.

Alan

Temperature as well as light can induce sprouting. Supermarket
spuds are probably maintained at a specific temperature which
inhibits sprouting but doesn't damage the tissue of the potato,
as would exposure to frost etc. They probably only require a
few hours at the higher temperature for this to irreversibly
trigger the sprouting mechanism. After purchase, supermarket
spuds will probably start sprouting after a week or so as
well.

michael adams