Old 04-04-2006, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

Default Mice eating our peas

We have never had this problem before as we have always had plenty of cats
wherever we have gardened. On this new allotment we have not seen a cat (or
Fox) and our peas, which were just coming up, are being eaten by mice.
What is the best method of protection?
Traps or bait or what???

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 04-04-2006, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
We have never had this problem before as we have always had plenty of cats
wherever we have gardened. On this new allotment we have not seen a cat

(or
Fox) and our peas, which were just coming up, are being eaten by mice.
What is the best method of protection?
Traps or bait or what???

Protect them with half a 2 ltr. lemonade bottle around each plant,
and maybe the same with beans ?

An air hole can be made in end of the bottom half of the bottles
with anything - an old screwdriver etc - heated to red heat over
the gas.

I quarter-filled a bottle with moulding plaster, rolled the
bottle continually to make a hollow plaster mould, cut the bottle
away and after painting on release agent on the outside
laid on a rigid glassfibre sleeve\ring. Around three layers
of glassfibre. And then broke the plaster mould away. This is
used to cut the circular groove for the half bottle to fit into,
in stony ground. The bottles can tend to buckle otherwise.

Not all lemonade bottles are the same diameter so its necessary
to stick to the same brand, for the above to work.

michael adams.

Regards
Bob Hobden
17mls W. of London.UK

Old 04-04-2006, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"michael adams" wrote after
"Bob Hobden" asked...
[...]

Thanks, but I'm talking about 4 rows of peas, not sweet peas, I would need
hundreds of bottles to cover them. I will also not be able to tell exactly
where the seeds are in the 6inch wide drills until they either grow above
ground or the mice dig them up.
However you have given me an idea, I'll have to look into a physical
barrier, perhaps laid on the ground, that the peas can grow through but the
mice can't get through. Do they eat the shoots too?

How I wish there were some cats to befriend there.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 04-04-2006, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"michael adams" wrote after
"Bob Hobden" asked...
[...]

I think I would just set up a couple of spring traps, that is a certain way
to stop them!

Alan

Old 05-04-2006, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message
news :
: "Bob Hobden" wrote in message
: ...
:
: "michael adams" wrote after
: "Bob Hobden" asked...
: We have never had this problem before as we have always had plenty of
: cats
: wherever we have gardened. On this new allotment we have not seen a
cat
: (or
: Fox) and our peas, which were just coming up, are being eaten by mice.
: What is the best method of protection?
: Traps or bait or what???

Try soaking the seeds in paraffin before sowing

Old 05-04-2006, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

michael adams wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
[...]

Well at least they let them germinate, my peas and broad beans got eaten
soon after planting last year. I ended up putting out mouse traps
baited with peanut butter, caught an average of three a days for several
days! Pity the blighters aren't as edible as rabbits and squirrels!
Old 05-04-2006, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JB

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 08:11:20 +0100, "Robert"
wrote:

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message
news :
: "Bob Hobden" wrote in message
: ...
:
: "michael adams" wrote after
: "Bob Hobden" asked...
: We have never had this problem before as we have always had plenty of
: cats
: wherever we have gardened. On this new allotment we have not seen a
cat
: (or
: Fox) and our peas, which were just coming up, are being eaten by mice.
: What is the best method of protection?
: Traps or bait or what???

Try soaking the seeds in paraffin before sowing

I'd heard that before and considered trying it. Do they just need a
quick dip or is a longer soak needed. I'm guessing the former avoids
the paraffin soaking into the pea itself but the smell wears off
quicker.

Old 05-04-2006, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Bacon

Bob Hobden wrote:
What is the best method of protection?

Dip the peas in diesel oil before sowing.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:06 PM
Registered User

Location: Huddersfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden
On this new allotment we have not seen a cat (or
Fox) and our peas, which were just coming up, are being eaten by mice.
What is the best method of protection?
Traps or bait or what???

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
17mls W. of London.UK
Are you sure it is mice at this stage, my guess it is the 'early birds' i.e. pigeons, jays and a few of the smaller birds.

The new growth is quite succulent to the birds particularly as there is not much about to eat, pea tops make a nice snack.

Netting should be the answer, at least thats what I do

To overcome the 'mouse problem' I sow seed in cell trays, three or four seeds per cell, and germinate in the greenhouse or cold frame.

I then plant out the plugs of seedlings when they are 25mm (1") high,

This method also cancels the possibilty of gaps in rows caused by non geremination.

Hope that helps
Old 05-04-2006, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Scotia" wrote in answer to Bob Hobden who asked:

On this new allotment we have not seen a cat (or
Fox) and our peas, which were just coming up, are being eaten by mice.
What is the best method of protection?
Traps or bait or what???

Are you sure it is mice at this stage, my guess it is the 'early birds'
i.e. pigeons, jays and a few of the smaller birds.

Doesn't look like birds, we also have a lot of bird scarers up and others on
the site now say mice are a problem with peas and beans.

To overcome the 'mouse problem' I sow seed in cell trays, three or four
seeds per cell, and germinate in the greenhouse or cold frame.

I then plant out the plugs of seedlings when they are 25mm (1") high,

This method also cancels the possibilty of gaps in rows caused by non
geremination.

Hope that helps

Yes, for next year, then I might try the old gutter trick and plant them in
that so you just slide off the row of plants into a suitable drill.

Been down today and there does not appear to be any more damage, so fingers
crossed. :-)
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 06-04-2006, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
david taylor

Paraffin works, so does white spirit (I have used both,) and Diesel oil
has been mentioned. Only 20 minutes to 1/2 hour soak is enough. You can
re-use paraffin or white spirit
The alternative is to germinate in a section of guttering until thesprout
about 2inches-I've not tried this myself but a local gardener uses this
method.
he mice are after the seeds and don't bother once the green parts have taken
up the food store.
Regards
David T
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

[...]

Large mice or rats attacking my peas [email protected] United Kingdom 4 08-04-2016 12:45 PM
Mice blasted mice Broadback[_2_] United Kingdom 42 22-12-2009 07:06 PM
Peas and mice 2 Pam Moore United Kingdom 2 03-06-2008 09:52 PM
Peas and Mice Pam Moore United Kingdom 1 02-06-2008 01:51 PM
Mice eating crocus Jeffery United Kingdom 9 05-12-2002 05:08 PM