Old 07-04-2006, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jackie Brown

Default Help! Not sure what to do

Hi all

I really need some help. I am a newbie gardener and I sent off for some
mystery plants and they arrived today. Problem is I dont know what they are
really are or what to do with them. Can anyone please help me? I would like
to know how big they will get, what type of sun / shade they prefer and if
they are annual / perennials etc. Anything else will help also. i am not
being lazy, I did try googling and very little came up. They are currently
1.5 inch plugs

1. Mrs Quilter Fancy
2. Dragons breath Stellar
3. Gaarden News Hardy fuchsia
4. Wayward Angel - Angel

Many thanks as always for your expertise!

--
*..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

Old 07-04-2006, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Hi Jackie

As an experiment I fed your plants, well the first two, into google

:-))

Pictures, descriptions, height etc and that was only a couple of sites I
looked at :-))

You could do the same and copy and paste you will have them always then :-))

Mike

news

Old 07-04-2006, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jackie Brown

Mike - I did try that first - I am honestly not lazy. I only found a picture
for Mrs quilter but that was it :{

Old 07-04-2006, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Hi Jackie. Have just gone back and found all of them Gaarden News needs the
extra 'a' taking out if you do a copy and paste and the last one needs
'flower' adding to it to differentiate it from a piece of music but thee are
plenty of entrys and once you establish the plant and the colour you can get
propagation and planting details.

Hope that helps.

It's the pictures of the plants which I think will help you the most and
their size.

. uk...

Old 07-04-2006, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Jackie Brown wrote:
Hi all

I really need some help. I am a newbie gardener and I sent off for
some mystery plants and they arrived today. Problem is I dont know
what they are really are or what to do with them. Can anyone please
help me? I would like to know how big they will get, what type of sun
/ shade they prefer and if they are annual / perennials etc. Anything
else will help also. i am not being lazy, I did try googling and very
little came up. They are currently
1.5 inch plugs

1. Mrs Quilter Fancy
2. Dragons breath Stellar
3. Gaarden News Hardy fuchsia
4. Wayward Angel - Angel

Many thanks as always for your expertise!

I don't quite understand why you sent off for "mystery plants", or why
any honest supplier would offer them without explanation. They should
have sent instructions: if they didn't, telephone them and insist. Best
not to do it again if you aren't rich!

Mrs Quilter, Dragon's Breath, and Wayward Angel are probably
pelargoniums -- what non-gardeners often call geraniums. Not hardy, so a
winter will kill them, but they will make a nice display in pots or
planted out at the end of May. If in pots, you can bring them into the
house in October or thereabouts and winter them on windowsills.

The fuchsia is a fuchsia. Also not very hardy, and can be grown in pots
or planted out in May.

For now, go down to the local B&Q etc and get some five-inch pots, some
matching "saucers", and a growbag. Cut open the growbag and fill each of
the pots with the stuff; press down to about three quarters of an inch
from the top. Make a hole in the middle with your fingers, and gently
plant each of your plugs in one of these. Equally gently, pour half a
pint of water onto each.

Now put them all on the sunniest windowsills you have. Water them every
Sunday -- not too often, as too much water will kill them even quicker
than too little. If there's any water left in the saucer after an hour,
tip it away. If the room is well heated, check every Wednesday: if the
growbag stuff is shrinking away from the sides and the pot feels really
really light, you can give it another drink. They can go outside at the
end of May: this means in their pots or planted in holes in the
ground -- your choice. About a foot apart, I'd say.

Nothing much will happen for a week or two, but don't worry. The plants
may not all survive, but no sweat. If anything seems to be going wrong,
ask us again. This should work: enjoy the flowers, watch what happens,
and you'll be a real gardener in a year!

--
Mike.

Old 07-04-2006, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Smashing Pumpkin

1. Mrs Quilter Fancy
2. Dragons breath Stellar
3. Gaarden News Hardy fuchsia
4. Wayward Angel - Angel

Many thanks as always for your expertise!

Mrs. Quilter
http://www.geraniumsuk.com/plants/by...+Geraniums.htm

Dragons breath Stellar
http://www.geraniumsuk.com/plants/by...+Geraniums.htm

Garden News
http://www.geraniumsuk.com/plants/by...y+Fuchsias.htm

Wayward Angel
http://www.geraniumsuk.com/plants/by...largoniums.htm

Old 08-04-2006, 12:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French

In message , Mike Lyle
writes
Jackie Brown wrote:
Hi all

I really need some help. I am a newbie gardener and I sent off for
some mystery plants and they arrived today. Problem is I dont know
what they are really are or what to do with them. Can anyone please
help me? I would like to know how big they will get, what type of sun
/ shade they prefer and if they are annual / perennials etc. Anything
else will help also. i am not being lazy, I did try googling and very
little came up. They are currently
1.5 inch plugs

1. Mrs Quilter Fancy
2. Dragons breath Stellar
3. Gaarden News Hardy fuchsia
4. Wayward Angel - Angel

Many thanks as always for your expertise!

I don't quite understand why you sent off for "mystery plants",

Because they were probably cheap :-) This is the time of year that
suppliers see how much stock they have and plan to offload the excess. I
had T&M catalogue the other day, they were offering' mystery packs' of
plants for half price. According to them it has been a good year for
propagation.

snip

The fuchsia is a fuchsia. Also not very hardy, and can be grown in pots
or planted out in May.

It's a 'Hardy fuscha' these are usually hardy, unlike a lot of the other
Fuschia and can be planted out and left in the soil.

For now, go down to the local B&Q etc and get some five-inch pots, some
matching "saucers", and a growbag. Cut open the growbag and fill each of
the pots with the stuff; press down to about three quarters of an inch
from the top. Make a hole in the middle with your fingers, and gently
plant each of your plugs in one of these. Equally gently, pour half a
pint of water onto each.

I think I'd be stingier and use 3 inch pots :-) And Growbags may or may
not be cheaper than just buying bags of multipurpose compost.
--
Chris French