Old 11-04-2006, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kay

Default How Long do broad beans take to germinate?

Hi
I am very new to the garden and a month back I decided to plant some
broad bean seeds.

I have followed the instructions to the letter and they have not
sprouted yet?

The soil is quite tough on the surface, will this cause the beans not
to grow?
Thanks

Kay

Old 11-04-2006, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
H Ryder

I planted mine ages ago, along with some peas. I waited and waited and then
gave up and planted some more in pots. Yesterday I noticed that teh BBs in
the garden were starting to sprout so mine took several weeks. Still no sign
of the peas though

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

Old 11-04-2006, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gardening_Convert

My peas took several weeks to germinate but have nearly all sprouted
now. I think it's probably all down to soil temp as it's taken a while
for the soil to be warm enough to trigger the seeds to germinate.

Old 11-04-2006, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article .com,
"La Puce" writes:

| Indeed. I plant my peas and broad beans every year at the same time
| (last year was the best crop I've ever had). I usually plant them end
| of april - depending on the easter holidays. Before that it is a waste
| of time and beans )

Broad beans can be planted as soon as the soil thaws, but move very
slowly while it is cold. Even using cloches, I never got a crop much
earlier than later sowings. My first ones are in, but have done
little. My next ones will be when I get around to it - May is not
too late.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Kay wrote:
Hi

snip

Just a suggestion but could you add an initial to the 'Kay', perhaps?
We already have a Kay here who is in fact, extremely experienced and
knowledgeable and I can see great confusion arising if people don't
check your respective headers - and they won't! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 11-04-2006, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert

: |
:
: Broad beans can be planted as soon as the soil thaws, but move very
: slowly while it is cold. Even using cloches, I never got a crop much
: earlier than later sowings. My first ones are in, but have done
: little. My next ones will be when I get around to it - May is not
: too late.
: Regards,
: Nick Maclaren.

I suppose it depends on where you are. I sowed my first ones in November in
Plymouth and they are full of flower buds about to open when we get a warmer
spell

Old 11-04-2006, 07:16 PM
Registered User

No sign of mine germinating either! They were sown 3 weeks ago. In fact, only the turnips have decided to show themselves so far... Oh, and the onions and garlic of course!
Old 11-04-2006, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pest Effects writes

No sign of mine germinating either! They were sown 3 weeks ago. In
fact, only the turnips have decided to show themselves so far... Oh,
and the onions and garlic of course!

Beans are apparently slow partly because they are sown deeper so added
to germination time is the time taken for the shoot to reach the surface
of the soil

--
Kay
Old 12-04-2006, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Robert wrote:
I suppose it depends on where you are. I sowed my first ones in November in
Plymouth and they are full of flower buds about to open when we get a warmer
spell

I'd say that and the situation of your plot. I simply cannot afford
planting early - my plot is by a disused railway line, in a deep kind
of valley and is full of furry and feathered creetures. I have in the
past lost lots of seeds to them. I find that if I wait and there's more
people on the allotment and warmer weather, not only my seeds germinate
quickly, they don't get eaten and the creetures get scared by the
people lingering on the allotment till well past dusk. I also start
lots at home before transplanting. I'm also hitching to get planting by
end of Feb as I did when I lived in France, I have learnt to be patient
now that I live in Manchester ;o)