Old 12-04-2006, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
htmark98

Default Got my Greenhouse - now need help?

Hi,

Got myself the 6x6 greenhouse yesterday (lady no longer required it)
and should be up within 2 weeks needs new screws 'w' & 'z' clips and
need to replace 2 broken panes (done in trasport) and need to built a
base for it.

so what things can you suggest i'm a total novice here i know you can
get excellent results with toms and cucumbers but don't know where to
start.

Heard it's good to use your own garden soil and not growbags, what do
you suggest?

Old 12-04-2006, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"htmark98" wrote
Got myself the 6x6 greenhouse yesterday (lady no longer required it)
and should be up within 2 weeks needs new screws 'w' & 'z' clips and
need to replace 2 broken panes (done in trasport) and need to built a
base for it.

so what things can you suggest i'm a total novice here i know you can
get excellent results with toms and cucumbers but don't know where to
start.

Heard it's good to use your own garden soil and not growbags, what do
you suggest?

So you need these then..
http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/H...20accessories/
or
https://secure.mmm.co.uk/cgi-bin/sit.../14/-ecommerce these people
also sell pre-cut clear plastic sheet for glazing.
They both also do the automatic vent openers which are very handy, well
almost an essential actually.

As for plants, it depends what you and yours eat.
Tomatoes**, and you need indeterminate growing plants not bush.
Chillies, whatever sort you like (big mild ones or hot little "Thai Dragon"
type).
Aubergines.
Cucumbers, get the greenhouse type and if you intend to grow them up a
trellis or net it will need strong support, these plants get heavy when in
fruit.
But 6 x 6 is not that big so take care you don't overdo it.

Only problem is they all want lots of water and if you have a hosepipe ban
in your area you will be daily carrying watering cans full back and forth.
(No hanging baskets for us this year!)

**Old trick, tie a polypropylene string on the roof beams above where you
are going to grow the plant and make a loop at what will be just below soil
level, put a short stout stick in the loop and bury that horizontally under
the Tom as you plant it, you will then be able to twist the plants stem
around the string to hold it up as it grows. As the plant grows the roots
will hold the stick more and more. Saves all that tying in. (but you still
have to pinch out the side shoots)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 12-04-2006, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French

In message .com,
htmark98 writes
Hi,

Got myself the 6x6 greenhouse yesterday (lady no longer required it)
and should be up within 2 weeks needs new screws 'w' & 'z' clips and
need to replace 2 broken panes (done in trasport) and need to built a
base for it.

so what things can you suggest i'm a total novice here i know you can
get excellent results with toms and cucumbers but don't know where to
start.

Yep, toms (gardeners Delight are good and reliable and easily
available), cukes, chillies, aubergines. I'd sow them all now to get
them going, esp. the chillies and Aubergines If you don't have them a
couple of cheap little electric propagators are useful for helping
things germinate..

so them in modules, and then pot on into pots. Chillies can stay in
smaller (6 inch) pots, aubergines/tome/cukes in larger pots or grow
bags.

Heard it's good to use your own garden soil and not growbags, what do
you suggest?

In pots or in abed in the greenhouse? Planting in a soil bed in the GH
means that watering is less of an issue. however, for small GH which is
likley to be used intensively for propagating, growing plants in the
summer etc. I think an all over solid bas (slabs or concrete) is more
versatile. Easy to put up staging on it., move things around put things
in pots, clean etc.

We grow our tomes etc. in large pots filed with commercial compost.
--
Chris French
Our Garden Blog http://chrisfrench.org/gardenblog/