Old 13-04-2006, 12:47 PM
Registered User

Location: Manchester
Default Taking cuttings

having to move in autumn for work and i want to take cuttings of a number of shrubs/plants before i leave.

can anyone recommend a good website/book which gives clear instructions as never done any cuttings b4.

if you want to give me recommendations on how to take cuttings for the following then that would be great to, but please bear in mind i have no greenhouse, but do have a bright east facing window with lots of space for pots

clematis
camellia
honeysuckle
azalea
hebe
hydrangea (including a climbing petrolaris)
jasmin

appreciate your help
Old 13-04-2006, 03:39 PM
Registered User

Location: Huddersfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger303
having to move in autumn for work and i want to take cuttings of a number of shrubs/plants before i leave.

can anyone recommend a good website/book which gives clear instructions as never done any cuttings b4.

if you want to give me recommendations on how to take cuttings for the following then that would be great to, but please bear in mind i have no greenhouse, but do have a bright east facing window with lots of space for pots

clematis
camellia
honeysuckle
azalea
hebe
hydrangea (including a climbing petrolaris)
jasmin

appreciate your help
I have covered most of these in my website;

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/

Use the alphabetical index and related links to get to the info'
Old 13-04-2006, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Tiger303 wrote:
having to move in autumn for work and i want to take cuttings of a
number of shrubs/plants before i leave.

can anyone recommend a good website/book which gives clear instructions
as never done any cuttings b4.

snip
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...ing_tender.asp
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 13-04-2006, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Tiger303" wrote in message

having to move in autumn for work and i want to take cuttings of a
number of shrubs/plants before i leave.

can anyone recommend a good website/book which gives clear instructions
as never done any cuttings b4.

if you want to give me recommendations on how to take cuttings for the
following then that would be great to, but please bear in mind i have
no greenhouse, but do have a bright east facing window with lots of
space for pots

clematis
camellia
honeysuckle
azalea
hebe
hydrangea (including a climbing petrolaris)
jasmin

appreciate your help

You can do the first 3 between now and July using new growth just starting
to harden, a set of leaves/buds at the top and about 1" of stem below,
inserted up to the buds, cover the pots with white plastic bags with some
sticks or hoops to keep it off the cuttings and place in a place that is
light but not hot, water in using a fungicide. (mix in the pot can be a
variety of things but peat and perlite 2 to 1 works well for me), don't let
it get too dry, you get better results using bottom heat but its not
essential.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk