Old 18-06-2003, 09:20 AM
Gareth Parsons

Default Taking Clematis cuttings

Hi Everyone

I have several montana clematis that as flowered is it possible to take
cuttings now,
Also when is the best time to take cutting also the best method

Thanks

Gareth S/Wales

Old 18-06-2003, 01:08 PM
Roscoe

"Gareth Parsons" wrote in a messag

I have several montana clematis that as flowered is it possible to take
cuttings now. Also when is the best time to take cutting also the best

method?
-----------------

Next month (July) is the best time to take your climbing clematis cuttings.
Choose a stem/s of half-ripened wood about 13cm long making sure that you
have two buds at the cut end. Remove all leaves and plant your cutting/s up
to the next two buds in a pot containing a half and half mixture of peat and
sharp sand. If you have a greenhouse, place the pot under the staging
making sure that the compost is not allowed to dry out. By mid September
your cuttings should have rooted. Pot up each cutting, one to a 3ins pot,
using a good potting compost. John Innes No.1 is ideal for clematis! The
following spring, re-pot using 5ins pots and JI No1 potting compost and sink
the pots in a shady part of your garden. From the following September you
can transplant your young plants in their permanent flowering positions.

Roscoe

Old 18-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Gary Woods

"Roscoe" wrote:

John Innes No.1 is ideal for clematis!

For we colonists, what's the rough equivalent, perhaps a sandy mix?

I use "Pro-Mix" for a lot of things.... sterile soilless mix with peat,
vermiculite, etc; based on a formula developed with my tax money by Cornell
University.... well-regarded for things agricultural and veterinerical over
here.

Cold and rainy here today ... remembering where I am complaining. OK, no
sympathy. Good day for transplants, if not for gardeners.

Cheers!

Old 18-06-2003, 05:20 PM
Ophelia

"Gary Woods" wrote in message

Cold and rainy here today ... remembering where I am complaining. OK, no
sympathy. Good day for transplants, if not for gardeners.

I do like an optimist

Ophelia
Scotland

Old 18-06-2003, 08:56 PM
Roscoe

"Gary Woods" wrote in a message:

For we colonists, what's the rough equivalent, perhaps a sandy mix?
I use "Pro-Mix" for a lot of things.... sterile soilless mix with peat,
vermiculite, etc; based on a formula developed with my tax money by
Cornell University.... well-regarded for things agricultural and
veterinerical over here.

---------
Hi Gary,

Yes, a 50/50 sharp sand and compost mix. I too use a lot of Silvaperl
Vermiculite, experimenting with various Vermiculite and compost mixes and
have found that I get almost 100% rooting success with most of my cuttings.
I always prepare my own compost and sterilize it in a microwave, on high for
5 minutes! It is important to keep the rooting compost moist and not
compacted. I find that using Vermiculite solves the compaction problem.

Roscoe

taking cuttings murdoch5 Gardening 2 21-11-2004 04:24 PM
Taking cuttings from pepper plants... Lost Edible Gardening 25 14-09-2004 04:13 AM
Taking cuttings from pepper plants... Lost Edible Gardening 0 10-09-2004 12:39 AM
Taking cuttings of Surfinia Big Fat Baz United Kingdom 1 29-04-2004 07:07 PM
Taking cuttings of antique roses Harriet Nation Roses 3 07-07-2003 02:45 AM