Old 14-04-2006, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NC

Default [OT - slightly] Rotary Clothes Line spike

I am about to set up a Rotary Clothes Line in the garden of our new
build house. Instructions (B&Q jobbie) say that the spike should be set
in concrete. Is this necessary - or can I just hammer it into the ground ??
If I do need to - whats the best way to go about it ?? How about: dig a
hole about half the height of the spike so that half is showing and half
is in the soil (but top is just below grass level to allow mowing when
the airer is removed), then fill up around it with post fix to create a
little 'stepping stone' with the top of the spike level with the
post-fix (but both again just below the grass level) ??

Any advice much appreciated...
Old 14-04-2006, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave P

"NC" wrote in message
I am about to set up a Rotary Clothes Line in the garden of our new build
house. Instructions (B&Q jobbie) say that the spike should be set in
concrete. Is this necessary - or can I just hammer it into the ground ??
If I do need to - whats the best way to go about it ?? How about: dig a
hole about half the height of the spike so that half is showing and half
is in the soil (but top is just below grass level to allow mowing when the
airer is removed), then fill up around it with post fix to create a little
'stepping stone' with the top of the spike level with the post-fix (but
both again just below the grass level) ??

Any advice much appreciated...

It needs something more than being hammered in.

I did exactly as you described 5 years ago and its still holding up, and
that's against the gales in the west of scotland!

Dave

--
"Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is interesting. What they
conceal is vital. "

Old 14-04-2006, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"NC" wrote in message
I am about to set up a Rotary Clothes Line in the garden of our new build
house. Instructions (B&Q jobbie) say that the spike should be set in
concrete. Is this necessary - or can I just hammer it into the ground ??
If I do need to - whats the best way to go about it ?? How about: dig a
hole about half the height of the spike so that half is showing and half
is in the soil (but top is just below grass level to allow mowing when the
airer is removed), then fill up around it with post fix to create a little
'stepping stone' with the top of the spike level with the post-fix (but
both again just below the grass level) ??

Any advice much appreciated...

Get one of those Parasol base things that all the diy places sell. That's
what my neighbour uses. I am more discreet and never hang washing
outside--far to common:-)

Old 14-04-2006, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

Default Rotary Clothes Line spike

"Sacha" wrote in message
oups.com...

NC wrote:
I am about to set up a Rotary Clothes Line in the garden of our new
build house. Instructions (B&Q jobbie) say that the spike should be set
in concrete. Is this necessary - or can I just hammer it into the ground
??

snip

If you don't use concrete, the soil will get wet and soggy and the
hole will get softer and the line will topple over. Ditto as the soil
gets dry and shrinks away from the fixing. Ditto when the gales blow
and take your washing into the garden 6 doors down!

And, it doesn't need a huge amount of concrete, mine is in a block about 6
inches in diam and the depth of the 'spike', the concrete is on the 'lawn'
and the top of the concrete is set below the level of the grass, so you
don't know there is concrete there.

Alan

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

To start, sort through your children's closest to find any clothesthat they are no longer wearing. You can use these clothes to sell to theresale shop for extra money, or allow your children to swap the clothes fortheir own selections on their own. B [email protected] Lawns 0 22-04-2008 06:52 PM
to let spike or not to let spike? J Fortuna Orchids 15 05-12-2005 03:38 AM
spike spike spike J Fortuna Orchids 2 04-09-2004 06:43 PM
[IBC] Can I use a clothes hanger for wiring? MartyWeiser Bonsai 2 16-11-2003 01:12 AM
Clothes make the man........ JennyC United Kingdom 0 06-10-2003 07:22 AM