Old 15-04-2006, 10:33 AM
Registered User

Default Steep bank and new to gardening!

Hi all, just to quickly introduce myself I am 22 years old and have just bought my first house and therefore have my first garden to look after. My family have never been keen gardeners so it is a new concept to me, but I am determined to learn and make the most of my new space! As well as reading this forum, I am also reading Alan Titchmarsh's 'How to be a gardener' for a few helpful tips!

Anyway, I'm hoping for some friendly advice on a steep bank in my garden. My garden is a small and flat square laid to grass. On three sides it has a small border around the grass with a fence behind and on the fourth side (the end of the garden as you walk in) there is a steep bank with a field at the top which I can't see! The bank is the entire width of my garden, so approx 22ft wide and is 12ft tall. I would guess that it is about 2 meters deep. The bank is a real eye sore at the moment, full of weeds and rubble. My next door neighbours have the same bank running along the back of their garden but have made it into about 2/3 narrow terraces, so that they can walk up it to see the field.

What is the best way to tidy the bank up and allow me to walk up it to see the field? Having just bought my first house, money is obviously a little tight, so without trying to ask too much (!) I'm looking for a fairly cost effective solution as well!

Any ideas, photos or places to look for information gratefully received! :-)
Old 16-04-2006, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally Thompson

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 10:33:21 +0100, Sme83 wrote
(in article ):

snip

[...]

I believe that the best way to treat a problem area in the garden is to work
with it, and not against it. It makes the gardening much easier and much
more interesting. Our whole garden was a steep bank to start with! However,
we would not want a level garden again since having different heights gives
you different viewpoints - and that can be magic. Think of it like a stage
set and imagine where your best vantage points are. You definitely need to
get steps up your bank, but you can do this quite cheaply with a bit of elbow
grease. Don't tackle it all at once, but do a bit at a time, otherwise
you'll get discouraged.

I would advise not putting steps in a straight line, but in a zig-zag or
curved pattern - that is much more interesting. (Mind you, I'm biassed not
being fond of straight lines in a garden.) One way to build your steps is to
get hold of some old railway sleepers (not sure if you still can, but if so
make sure they are not going to ooze) or otherwise some tanalised ones. Cut
them into appropriate lengths (you'll need a chainsaw or a friend with one)
and set them into your bank, with metal rods or something similar at the
front to support them. Cover them with chicken wire or similar so that you
don't slip on them when they are wet. Then tackle your bank in portions, and
don't worry how long it takes.

It isn't a particular good photo, but you can see what we did with just one
bit at http://www.stonybrook-ludlow.co.uk/images/bank.jpg. It may give you
some ideas. I'll have to dig out a more modern photo of the bank as it is
now some time. This is overall what we started with!
http://www.stonybrook-ludlow.co.uk/images/land-2000.jpg

So don't be discouraged.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

Having steep sides on a pond? Han Chung Ponds 0 28-12-2003 09:16 PM
Steep Hill Problem Bee Gardening 4 03-08-2003 10:42 PM
Ground Cover for Steep Bank DavesVideo Gardening 8 23-07-2003 01:42 AM
Steep bank how to plant help please V6 United Kingdom 25 11-05-2003 04:46 PM
help please STEEP hillside garden alice United Kingdom 8 31-03-2003 09:08 PM