Old 16-04-2006, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emery Davis

Default strange holodiscus behavior

A couple of years ago I put in a Holodiscus discolor. (Actually very
difficult to find in Normandy, so I got it from the UK.) The little
plant seemed fine, in it's second year (last summer) it put
on a lot of growth, to about 4-5 ft, and bloomed pretty
enthusiastically in mid-june.

Following bloom it appeared to die, leaving leafless sticks and
brown dried blooms for the rest of the summer. Most
unattractive. Guessing the drought conditions had something
to do with it, I left it in place, and sure enough it's now leafing
out well, with very little die-back at all actually.

Question is, do these go dormant like this after bloom, or is
this exceptional? If the former, I'd really like to move it to a
less conspicuous place before it gets too big. Also the spot
it's in is not particularly wet, I wonder if it likes more water
than it's getting.

TIA for any advice.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Strange bird behavior Nil Lawns 5 25-07-2008 01:11 PM
strange root behavior Dave Gower Gardening 7 27-10-2004 01:45 AM
Strange behavior... SueAndHerZoo Ponds 34 20-03-2004 03:42 AM
Greg/jan/others - H2O Hardness indicated, help was Strange Koi behavior, now dead. K30a Ponds 1 18-05-2003 06:44 AM
Strange Koi Behavior itten Ponds 13 17-05-2003 02:56 AM