Old 18-04-2006, 01:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gardening_Convert

Default RHS membership con :(

This weekend we thought we'd make use of the RHS membership that my
wife was given for Xmas and go and visit a garden.

We decided to visit Abbotsbury Sub-tropical gardens in Dorset as it's
close to the inlaws in Swanage. Therefore we visited them and got to
visit the gardens in one trip.

We chose Abbotsbury from the members handbook and so presumed the
entrance fee was covered under the membership.

However once we got their we found that the membership only covers free
entrance from Oct-Feb , well what the H**l is the point of that !!!

We were politely told "well it does say in the handbook" , yes but in
the small print !!!!!

We felt like we'd been conned as the tell you that the benifits of you
membership includes entrance to all these gardens but then in small
print have lots of exclusions

By the way Abbotsbury Sub-tropical gardens were very nice and well
worth a visit (if you don't mind paying )

Old 18-04-2006, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
James Fidell

Gardening_Convert wrote:
This weekend we thought we'd make use of the RHS membership that my
wife was given for Xmas and go and visit a garden.

We decided to visit Abbotsbury Sub-tropical gardens in Dorset as it's
close to the inlaws in Swanage. Therefore we visited them and got to
visit the gardens in one trip.

We chose Abbotsbury from the members handbook and so presumed the
entrance fee was covered under the membership.

However once we got their we found that the membership only covers free
entrance from Oct-Feb , well what the H**l is the point of that !!!

We were politely told "well it does say in the handbook" , yes but in
the small print !!!!!

In my copy of the handbook it does have the symbol for "only free for
part of the year" fairly clearly marked in the box giving opening times
and facilities etc.

No idea why some places aren't free all the time when others are,
though. Seems like an odd policy. Perhaps they don't feel they gain
enough from being an RHS garden to make it worthwhile. Or perhaps it's
an attempt to manage visitor numbers?

James
Old 18-04-2006, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

James Fidell writes

No idea why some places aren't free all the time when others are,
though. Seems like an odd policy. Perhaps they don't feel they gain
enough from being an RHS garden to make it worthwhile. Or perhaps it's
an attempt to manage visitor numbers?

Most of the gardens are not RHS-owned gardens, are they? So they are
simply taking a commercial decision to attract a few extra people, free,
when numbers are low, but not foregoing income when visitor numbers are
high. Just like 'Orange Wednesday' - two cinema tickets for the price of
one on a day when hardly anyone wants to go to the cinema.
--
Kay
Old 18-04-2006, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

Colin wrote ...
[...]

As most of those gardens mentioned in the handbook are not RHS it's up to
them if they charge or not.
However I have noticed a gradual decline in the benefits of RHS membership
over the years...
First they stopped giving members free entry to the Chelsea Flower Show on
members only days.
Then they stopped carrying the more unusual plants at their outlets
(remember the old Orchid table at Wisley crammed with unusual species?) and
only carry what any good GC carries (but double the price for some Orchid
hybrids etc).
Then they did away with Sunday being Members Only day at Wisley.
Now they have so many members you can't get into the carpark at Wisley
sometimes.
I get the feeling it has become simply a "fleece the punter" money
generating organisation that has little to do with gardening except as a
means to an end. Perhaps that's just a sign of the times though, I feel the
same about the NT.
--
Regards
Bob

Old 18-04-2006, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.mc

"Typical" as with most ventures firstly they're screaming for your custom
and after the magical customer numbers base is hit, out go the perks and
wordplay plus greed takes over. It's called business.

--

Regards
p.mc

Colin wrote ...

Old 18-04-2006, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
solar power

Its a bit like the National Trust membership.

Most of the properties and gardens are not open from October to March.

To my way of thinking thats about half the year.

Old 19-04-2006, 12:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cliff_the_gardener

except the RHS is a registered charity - how I have no idea
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Old 19-04-2006, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

cliff_the_gardener wrote:
except the RHS is a registered charity - how I have no idea

While your local school isn't (unless it charges fees). Welcome to
rip-off Britain.

--
Mike.