Old 08-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Colin Spooner

Default North facing aspect

Could anybody advise me on what shrubs/plants I can use on a North facing
bed which has a six feet high fence.
The area receives virtually no sun until mid Summer,when it gets a couple of
hours.
I have planted Fatsia japonica, and hellebores which do really well,the
heuchere's are struggling,and the primulas seem OK
Daffs. give colour right now,the Tulips all perished,
My soil is neutral to alkaline,so acid loving plants are out.
I have spent a fortune on so called 'Hardy Perenials' which have not
survived ,
Any advice gratefully received!!
Thanks
Colin

Old 08-04-2003, 11:21 PM
Paul Kelly

"Colin Spooner" wrote in message
Could anybody advise me on what shrubs/plants I can use on a North facing
bed which has a six feet high fence.
The area receives virtually no sun until mid Summer,when it gets a couple

of
hours.
I have planted Fatsia japonica, and hellebores which do really well,the
heuchere's are struggling,and the primulas seem OK
Daffs. give colour right now,the Tulips all perished,
My soil is neutral to alkaline,so acid loving plants are out.
I have spent a fortune on so called 'Hardy Perenials' which have not
survived ,
Any advice gratefully received!!
Thanks
Colin

Generally forget perennials and go for shrubs,

Bay
Garrya elliptica
Viburnum tinus
V davidii
Choisya ternata
Euonymus fortunei

Cornus alba "Elegantissima" also does very well and brings some much needed
deciduous lightness. The books will say it is exactly the wrong position,
but it looks good even if much below normal vigour.

Also I have some Hemerocalis (Day lily) which again should do badly but
provide a good summer softening

all are doing well in my border with exactly the same characteristics as
yours @ 1.5m deep

pk