Old 23-05-2006, 03:45 AM
Registered User

Location: Northland New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by david taylor
Thanks for the encouraging comments re outdoor or cutting back. I have not
yet decided what to do although the tree is now bending over at the ceiling.
I may plant it out of doors in a sheltered spot and be prepared to shroud it
when frost is forecast.
Protection from scorching in strong sunlight is also a necessity.
Regards
David T
"DavePoole Torquay" wrote in message
oups.com...
Gardenlen wrote:
here is a link that may give you and others some insight about the
norfolk island pine, can't find any reference to there being different
plants as far as i know it is a single species plant they do say it is
not a true pine (i learnt something hey)

'Norfolk Island Pine' is one of about about 15 valid species of
Araucaria - a genus of large growing, southern hemisphere, pine-like
conifers. Several are relatively well known - Araucaria araucana is
the 'Chilean Pine' or 'Monkey Puzzle' (large growing and very hardy),
Araucaria bidwillii is the 'Bunya Pine' from Australia growing even
larger at around 40+ metres and our old friend Araucaria heterophylla
(excelsa) - the more slender and elegant 'Norfolk Island Pine'. None
are true 'pines' in the strictest sense, but then many so-called
'pines' don't belong to the genus Pinus.

and like lots of big trees if
they get damaged and grow new growths these growths are less stable
and tend to break off easily and could do lots of damage, anyhow you
can read that.

Not necessarily. Pruning the tops out of trees that have strong apical
dominance and which naturally develop symetrical outlines does destroy
the overall effect. However, I've seen a Norfolk Pine that was cut
back to about 3 feet when it had threatened to touch the ceiling.
After several years' subsequent growth of 3 'leaders' with their
accompanying tiers of branches, it didn't look too bad at all. The
owner rooted the original top and had a nice new young plant as well.

i did find one sight that dressed up the information to make it look
like the plant would be a good long term pot culture but you all know
now that, that isn't the case hey?

Well, Araucaria heterophylla (or A. excelsa as it was known in Victoria
times) was a very popular 'pot plant' and widely grown in homes and
conservatories throughout the country. Until it becomes too large, it
makes a very good indoor subject if given sufficient light. It barely
needs frost protection and so can be grown in an unheated greenhouse or
even in a very sheltered spot out of doors in the South West (of
England, Wales or Ireland). It is as good for long term pot culture as
Monstera or many of the Ficus and is far less demanding in terms of
heat.
Hi
I missed this thread and posted this to an earlier one

Living in the north of New Zealand I am familiar with the Norfolk Pine(Agathis heterophylla). It is closely related to the NZ Kauri Agathis australis.
There's a light hearted debate going on in New Zealand at the moment that The Norfolk island Pine should be treated as a native here in New Zealand as Norfolk island's flora is closer to NZ than Australia. Norfolk Island also has Phormium or NZ Flax and a few Coprosmas and Pittosporum.
Norfolk Pine is well established as an ornamental tree particularly next to the Beach. It grows well in Wellington and they have become part of the Wellington skyscape along Oriental Parade.
Children love to climb them as the regular branching makes for easy climbing. Many a kiwikid has gone far too high, much to the concern of their parents!
I would think that as Cordyline australis (Cabbage Tree) grows well in Southern Britain then Norfolk Pine would like wise do well, however in a more sandy,gravel, coastal spot.
check out my website
Tony
www.bushmansfriend.co.nz
Old 23-05-2006, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
david taylor

Default norfolk island pine

Gardenlen wrote:
[...]

About a week ago I put the 8ft tree out, in a sheltered spot with the
weather forecast promising a few days of cloudy weather. Two days later we
had heavy rain and violent winds-very unusual for May. I had left the tree
in its pot, which I had sunk into the ground. I am somewhat concerned about
drainage, and the stem has taken on a permanent bend. I may try to
straighten it out later in the summer if it survives, but cannot do too
much at present as I am due for an operation myself tommorrow and shall be
incapacitated for a few weeks.

Regards
David T

Norfolk Island Pine United Kingdom 11 24-05-2006 06:02 PM
Norfolk Island Pine Tuletess Gardening 3 03-02-2004 12:03 AM
[IBC] Norfolk Island Pine help Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 0 07-10-2003 01:07 AM
Norfolk Island Pine help Shireen Gonzaga Bonsai 0 06-10-2003 07:02 PM
norfolk island pine ernest jones United Kingdom 0 17-10-2002 08:52 PM