Old 24-04-2006, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
H Ryder

Default kale/purple sprouting germination problem

I've planted various veg seeds in cheapo multi purpose compost, some in a
frost free porch, some in seed trays out side in a sheltered spot. The kale
and purple sprouting have neither really germinated yet (just one or two
plants in each row). The rest (cabbages, lettuce, various roots and things)
all seem fine. I started planting several weeks ago. Any ideas as to the
problem? TIA,

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

Old 24-04-2006, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert

"H Ryder" wrote in message
: I've planted various veg seeds in cheapo multi purpose compost, some in a
: frost free porch, some in seed trays out side in a sheltered spot. The
kale
: and purple sprouting have neither really germinated yet (just one or two
: plants in each row). The rest (cabbages, lettuce, various roots and
things)
: all seem fine. I started planting several weeks ago. Any ideas as to the
: problem? TIA,
:
: --
: Hayley
: (gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)
:
If the other seeds have germinated it sounds like poor seed. They usually
come up pretty quickly. Just one thought.... you haven't got a rogue slug or
two?

Old 24-04-2006, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
H Ryder

Just one thought.... you haven't got a rogue slug or
two?

no - have checked and the seeds are all very high up on wire stands.

Old 24-04-2006, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"H Ryder" wrote
Just one thought.... you haven't got a rogue slug or
two?

no - have checked and the seeds are all very high up on wire stands.

So were mine and I caught a Wood Pigeon eating them today!

--
Regards
Bob Hobden