Old 25-04-2006, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default HELP- Apple Tree Protection What Next ?

Hi,

A friend of mine gave me two apple trees towards the end of last year
and am very pleased that they have taken as they are now just going
into leaf.

I put some Denso tape and grease around the base of the trunk (told to
do this as these were OK to use) and wondered, when and what to do next
to further protect / feed them?

Many Thanks.

Rick.

Old 25-04-2006, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
H Ryder

I put some Denso tape and grease around the base of the trunk

why? should I do this to my trees? (apple, plum, damson)

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

Old 25-04-2006, 04:45 PM
Registered User

Location: Huddersfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Hi,

A friend of mine gave me two apple trees towards the end of last year
and am very pleased that they have taken as they are now just going
into leaf.

I put some Denso tape and grease around the base of the trunk (told to
do this as these were OK to use) and wondered, when and what to do next
to further protect / feed them?

Many Thanks.

Rick.
Have a look in here;

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Apples.htm
Old 25-04-2006, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for the advice La Purce, much appreciated.

Regarding you query Hayley. I was told it stops the bugs climbing up
the tree and laying thier eggs in the blossom / fruit. I believe you
can buy a special bandage from a garden suppliers, but I had the tape
and the grease in the garage already.
No doubt an expert will give you some further advice. I’m a bit green
on the subject and I don’t mean that in a botanical sense

Rick !!!

olive tree protection for winter jay jay Australia 1 07-10-2004 11:57 PM
Apple protection ned United Kingdom 7 22-08-2003 01:02 PM
Apple protection ned United Kingdom 0 22-08-2003 06:15 AM
tree protection Dave United Kingdom 0 29-07-2003 12:06 AM
fruit tree protection - bee/lady beetle traps gopackers Gardening 2 29-05-2003 03:08 PM