Old 27-04-2006, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bobby

Default Roadside embankment

Our Residents Association is looking to plant a load of flowers on a
roadside embankment (approx 100mtrs long) to brighten it up a bit.

The embankment soil isn't fantastic and it faces eastwards.

We have already planted some daffodils and primrose which are naturalising
nicely.

Can you recommend any other naturalising flowers which will help us cover
the embankment with a sea of colour during the growing season? And also any
bulk seed/bulb suppliers.

Old 27-04-2006, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Bobby" wrote in message
Our Residents Association is looking to plant a load of flowers on a
roadside embankment (approx 100mtrs long) to brighten it up a bit.

The embankment soil isn't fantastic and it faces eastwards.

We have already planted some daffodils and primrose which are naturalising
nicely.

Can you recommend any other naturalising flowers which will help us cover
the embankment with a sea of colour during the growing season? And also any
bulk seed/bulb suppliers.

Poppies do really well on poor soil :~)
They re-seed themselves too.
Our local council has had great success with them.

and some ideas here maybe:
http://www.deepblue.uk.net/uknature/pages/meadow.html
http://www.bostonseeds.co.uk
http://www.naturescape.co.uk/meadow2.htm

Jenny

Old 27-04-2006, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Bobby wrote:
Our Residents Association is looking to plant a load of flowers on a
roadside embankment (approx 100mtrs long) to brighten it up a bit.

The embankment soil isn't fantastic and it faces eastwards.

We have already planted some daffodils and primrose which are naturalising
nicely.

Can you recommend any other naturalising flowers which will help us cover
the embankment with a sea of colour during the growing season? And also any
bulk seed/bulb suppliers.

If you do a Google search, typing in wildflower seeds, you'll get a
load of hits for suppliers, as well as suggestions. British bluebells
and ragged robin would be lovely. And if Valerian will take, it's much
loved by butterflies. Stitchwort is one of my personal favourites, as
is Queen Anne's lace. What a lovely idea, BTW - it would be good to
hear of more people doing this.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 27-04-2006, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

JennyC wrote:
Poppies do really well on poor soil :~)
They re-seed themselves too.

Ho yes and verbascums - lots of them, looks fantastic )

Old 27-04-2006, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 09:56:58 +0100, "Bobby"
wrote:

Our Residents Association is looking to plant a load of flowers on a
roadside embankment (approx 100mtrs long) to brighten it up a bit.

The embankment soil isn't fantastic and it faces eastwards.

We have already planted some daffodils and primrose which are naturalising
nicely.

Can you recommend any other naturalising flowers which will help us cover
the embankment with a sea of colour during the growing season? And also any
bulk seed/bulb suppliers.

Cowslips. Gloucestershire have seeded cowslips on some
motorway/ring-road embankments and they are a joy to see at the
moment.

Pam in Bristol

Old 27-04-2006, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Janet Baraclough wrote:
I used to use Parker Bulbs (Urmston, Manchester? ) for bulk bulb
orders and found them very good.

They're in Old Trafford. They often donate bulbs they haven't sold.
This year they gave hundreds to a friend running a community gardening
group. January is the month when they give stuff away via huge
organisation like a community garden centre, housing association - in
this case it was the Sale water park resident group.

Old 27-04-2006, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"Sacha" wrote
If you do a Google search, typing in wildflower seeds, you'll get a
load of hits for suppliers, as well as suggestions. British bluebells
and ragged robin would be lovely. And if Valerian will take, it's
much loved by butterflies. Stitchwort is one of my personal
favourites, as is Queen Anne's lace. What a lovely idea, BTW - it
would be good to hear of more people doing this.

I agree, it's lovely to see wild flowers on roadside verges and
embankments.

How about ox-eye daisies, scabious, bird's foot trefoil, knapweed, white
campion, red campion (needs a bit more moisture or shadier site), blue
meadow cranesbill and yellow toadflax.

--
Sue

Old 27-04-2006, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Liquorice

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 13:27:19 +0100, Janet Baraclough wrote:

It's possible your local council will insist on shearing down all the
growth once a year, to maintain visibility for road users; they do
here.

All the way up a bank on a straight road? They cut the verges (approx 3
to 4' from the gutter) here once or twice a year and selected places
where the growth does obscure visibilty but otherwise they are left
alone. Our council, Cumbria, also trys to take into account the growth
and cycles of plants when deciding when to cut the verges.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 27-04-2006, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 13:27:19 +0100, Janet Baraclough wrote:

It's possible your local council will insist on shearing down all the
growth once a year, to maintain visibility for road users; they do
here.

All the way up a bank on a straight road? They cut the verges (approx 3
to 4' from the gutter) here once or twice a year and selected places
where the growth does obscure visibilty but otherwise they are left
alone. Our council, Cumbria, also trys to take into account the growth
and cycles of plants when deciding when to cut the verges.

--

As they do on the Isle of Wight, but the Barrowcloth being the Barrowcloth,
what happens there happens EVERYWHERE :-((((((((((((((

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk
International Festival of the Sea 28th June - 1st July 2007

Old 27-04-2006, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

The point I was making, was not to plant anything that would be killed
if the council gave it a 6" haircut.

Janet

The point YOU were making. is the assumption that ALL Councils give a 6"
haircut.

WRONG

Again. Will you NEVER learn that there is another world besides yours?

Old 27-04-2006, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
ned

Bobby wrote:
Our Residents Association is looking to plant a load of flowers on a
roadside embankment (approx 100mtrs long) to brighten it up a bit.

The embankment soil isn't fantastic and it faces eastwards.

We have already planted some daffodils and primrose which are
naturalising nicely.

Can you recommend any other naturalising flowers which will help us
cover the embankment with a sea of colour during the growing season?
And also any bulk seed/bulb suppliers.

Can I add a cautionary note.
Who 'owns' the embankment?
If it is the council, have they been approached for approval to do
this?

There are some councils with a conservation policy who might object or
may wish to dictate what can and cannot be done. They may condone a
'wild flower' scheme but object to daffs and tulips for example.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
latest update 16.03.2006