Old 13-08-2004, 11:02 PM
swim learning

Default Tree identification - roadside in northern New Jersey in August

Please identify the two trees at:

http://tinyurl.com/6vs43

If the site is not accessible, please go to:

http://photos.yahoo.com/shahswim

and select the "Plants" album.

Thank you.

Old 14-08-2004, 03:32 AM
Mike LaMana

Plant 2 is winged sumac (Rhus copallina)
I know what Plant one is, but am drawing a blank on the name. Arrg. It is
not Gleditsia, Sophora, Robinia, Gymnocladus...

--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

Old 15-08-2004, 03:24 PM
swim learning

I am concluding that plant 1 is Sophora Japonica, also known as
Chinese Scholar tree or Japanese Pagoda tree. I found that the petals
of the flower are not symetrical; about four of them surround the
pistil and stamens but one of them is spread (not curled up),folded
back and the tip goes into the sepals. Beautiful flowers in
July-August.

Plant 2 is Rhus Copallina also known as winged sumac (supposedly
there is a wing between leaves), shining sumac or dwarf sumac. Thanks
Mike.