Old 27-04-2006, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Justin Thyme

Default cropping asparagus

Just enjoying my first crop of asparagus, started from seed 3 yrs ago.
What proportion of the shoots is it reasonable to crop and which should I
take, the strongest or the more slender?

Old 27-04-2006, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dwayne

I harvest mine when it is the size of a pencil (sometimes a little smaller
if I need more to make a meal). That usually requires me to do it every
third day or so. I harvest until at least the first of June, sometimes the
15th, and then let the rest grow for the remainder of the year.

Enjoy.

Dwayne (from Kansas)

Old 27-04-2006, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
david taylor

I used to pick the strongest shoots up to the first week in June-we don't
have it in our present garden but I grew it for 30 years without problems.
Our third child used the asparagus patch as his Ewok jungle when he played
with his Starwars collection.
Regards
David T