Old 30-04-2006, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Halesia monticola :-(

I planted two pot-grown ones late in 2004. Last year, they flowered
and produced leaves, and have repeated it this year (so they can't be
TOO unhappy). One put on 3' of growth, which was all killed by the
mild winter (-10 Celcius, once) - and one did nothing. I have dug
it up, and it had made essentially no root growth, either.

Well, what can I do? They are SUPPOSED to be fast growing trees.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-04-2006, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

I planted two pot-grown ones late in 2004. Last year, they flowered
and produced leaves, and have repeated it this year (so they can't be
TOO unhappy). One put on 3' of growth, which was all killed by the
mild winter (-10 Celcius, once) - and one did nothing. I have dug
it up, and it had made essentially no root growth, either.

Well, what can I do? They are SUPPOSED to be fast growing trees.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Fast but surely not that fast. 3' in one year is going it a bit for a tree?
I suppose it's not surprising that young growth got cut back by the frost.
How big and old were the things when you got them?

Old 30-04-2006, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" writes:

| Fast but surely not that fast. 3' in one year is going it a bit for a tree?
| I suppose it's not surprising that young growth got cut back by the frost.
| How big and old were the things when you got them?

It's not unusual. The dreaded leylandii, many Eucalyptus etc. all grow
3' in a season. They were about 3' high.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-04-2006, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Janet Baraclough writes:

| They're also supposed to be perfectly hardy. At our last garden mine
| took a few yesrs to settle in then grew pretty fast and certainly
| survived colder temps than that that. (at least -15).

Yes. I think that the apology for a summer last year wasn't enough
to ripen the wood.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.