Old 30-04-2006, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gardening_Convert

Default collecting clematis armondii seeds

My clematis armondii is getting near the end of it's spring flowering.
I was wondering if I could collect the seeds and then sow some to grow
on.

Are the seeds the little white stalk like bits in the middle that are
all falling off onto the ground ?

How do they need to be sown and grown , how long do they take to grow ,
can I just store them , what is the best time to sow them ?

Cheers

Colin

Old 30-04-2006, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Gardening_Convert" wrote in message
oups.com...
My clematis armondii is getting near the end of it's spring flowering.
I was wondering if I could collect the seeds and then sow some to grow
on.

Are the seeds the little white stalk like bits in the middle that are
all falling off onto the ground ?

How do they need to be sown and grown , how long do they take to grow ,
can I just store them , what is the best time to sow them ?

Cheers

Colin

No, they are the tails off the un fertilized seed, look where the flowers
were and the seeds are about the size of fennel with a tail attached, you
must wait until they are ripe before harvest then its sow and wait.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 30-04-2006, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gardening_Convert

Sorry don't know what fennel looks like ?

Old 01-05-2006, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Gardening_Convert" wrote in message
ups.com...
Sorry don't know what fennel looks like ?

OK how about tomato seed? point is there is a swollon seed at the base of
the tail if its been fertilized, C. armandi does not set seed often in the
uk as it is flowering while it is too cold, but you may get lucky and find
the odd one. sadly the resulting plants will most likely be rubbish in
comparison with one of the named ones. (unlike some clematis which always
produce something garden worthy.